Too Late to Hibernate?

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
geman

Too Late to Hibernate?

Post by geman » 19 Feb 2021, 16:31

My tortoise who is now 3years was very active through the autumn and before christmas and now wondering if it is too late to hibernate him, especially as the worst of the winter is probably behind us now. Would it be best to keep him warm and eating instead?

Nina

Re: Too Late to Hibernate?

Post by Nina » 19 Feb 2021, 17:04

Hi Geman,

I suppose you could hibernate him now, but he would first have to go through the winding down procedure first (and for a three-year old that would be just over two weeks without food and gradually decreasing temperatures). I think I would probably wait until next year to hibernate him, as that will give you plenty of time to prepare and decide where you will hibernate him, so that you have all the right conditions when the time comes. We can send you all the information about hibernation if you haven't done it before (preparing the tortoise for hibernation is crucial, as is the place where you hibernate him, etc.). Would you like us to send you links to the information?

Nina