I hope you're all staying safe during these scary times!

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Followly

Post by Followly » 05 Apr 2024, 09:59

Hello guys,
Now I have a 2 year old Hermann tortoise who I absolutely adore. We have always called it a he based on a few people's early guesses. Today whilst outside I picked him up and a pink thing was poking in and out of his tail area? I'm worried something is wrong but also I'm wondering if I am being rather naive and he is showing us a little too much? He had a poo and a wee whilst out?

Nina

Re: I hope you're all staying safe during these scary times!

Post by Nina » 05 Apr 2024, 20:20

Hi Followly,

I would normally say that this is almost certainly your male tortoise flashing his bits, but two years old is a bit young for that, so I'm not sure. How much does he weigh? A tortoise's penis is pink or brown and usually has a larger tip that is vaguely heart or umbrella shaped. There is also the possiblility of a female tortoise having a prolapse, but this is much less common. Could you possibly get a photo of it the next time he does it?
In the meantime, if you want to be shocked and amazed, here's a video of a tortoise trying to mate with a rubber ball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jA7m7QEo2s
Your tortoise's male organ won't be this big or shaped exactly like this, but I thought you might be amused to see what is possible!

Nna