Skin of a turtle attached to the neck

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
vernakuhlman

Skin of a turtle attached to the neck

Post by vernakuhlman » 06 Mar 2024, 01:14

Little Robe is a Mediterranean turtle, and she's only an infant. I saw a splotchy area of skin on his neck this week. Opening his head is the only way to see it. Requires medical intervention? Have I messed up somehow? Much obliged.

Nina

Re: Skin of a turtle attached to the neck

Post by Nina » 07 Mar 2024, 09:09

Hi and welcome to The Tortoise Table,

I am sorry to be so late in responding to your post. Can you tell us what species of Mediterranean turtle you have? Also, is he a turtle (who lives in water) or a tortoise (who lives on the land)?

If you could send us a photo of the area of the neck that you are worried about, that will be a great help, as it is difficult to give you advice without seeing it. If the area on the neck is just some skin that is flaking off and loose, then that is perfectly natural, as tortoises do shed skin as they grow, but if is an area of a different colour that wasn't there before then there might be a problem, but it is difficult to know unless we can see it. If it is an area of skin that is coming off then don't try to take bits off as that can cause damage -- just leave it alone and it will fall off eventually.

If you have trouble uploading a photo here, then send it to me at nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk and I will upload it for you.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 07 Mar 2024, 23:20

Just a little tip that might encourage a tortoise to put his head out for photography purposes. Hold him so the feet are not touching anything and slowly tilt tortoise forward. Have someone ready with cameras and it will lapped. 😂

Lin

rotbelow

Post by rotbelow » 09 Mar 2024, 08:08

Observation: Keep a close eye on Little Robe and monitor the splotchy area of skin for any changes in size, color, or texture. Note any additional symptoms or behaviors that may indicate discomfort or illness.
Maintain Proper Habitat Conditions: Ensure that Little Robe's habitat meets the necessary environmental requirements for Mediterranean turtles, including temperature, humidity, water quality, and substrate. Proper habitat conditions are essential for the overall health and well-being of reptiles.
Nutrition and Hydration: Provide a balanced diet and access to clean water to support Little Robe's overall health and immune function. Adequate hydration and nutrition are important for maintaining healthy skin and immune system function.