Horsfield tortoise claws

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Emma&Kimchi

Horsfield tortoise claws

Post by Emma&Kimchi » 04 Mar 2024, 13:29

Hi all,

I have a general question about horsfield tortoise claws/nails - when do you need to consider cutting them?

Kimchi's nails seem quite long - I've noticed he now can't fully put his front feet flat on the floor when he walks - although he's still able to walk comfortably and likes to dig and climb. I have attached a picture for reference.

Any advice welcome :)
[attachment=0]IMG_6065 Small.jpeg[/attachment]
Thank you!
Emma
Attachments
IMG_6065 Small.jpeg
IMG_6065 Small.jpeg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 1222 times

lin

Re: Horsfield tortoise claws

Post by lin » 04 Mar 2024, 17:30

Hi Emma.
Kimchi’s nails look fine to me. As you say digging is a favourite pastime they also need longish nails for balancing on the females back when mating. You could easily make a ramp from a roof slate at an angle butting up against a mound of largish pebbles for him to clamber up and over and it will help keep them the right length and hopefully he won’t need to have a pedicure.

Lin

Emma&Kimchi

Post by Emma&Kimchi » 04 Mar 2024, 17:46

Hi Lin, that's great - thanks! I just wasnt sure at one point you might considering getting them trimmed. He has a slate where I put his food, and a ramp up to an upstairs part of his table - as well as other logs and stones to clamber over, so hopefully they will stay at any appropriate length!

Many thanks,
Emma

blabling2

Post by blabling2 » 02 Apr 2024, 06:06

I've noticed he now can't fully put his front feet flat on the floor when he walks - although he's still able to walk comfortably and likes to dig and climb. Don't get hurt!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
https://connect-4.io