New owner of Horsfield tortoise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Nina

Re: New owner of Horsfield tortoise

Post by Nina » 27 Jan 2024, 15:10

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the photo, but I do think it's too soon to sex him/her. The cloaca is slightly more in the shape of a dash (females have round cloacas, shaped like asterisks and the cloaca of males is more of a slit shape and is a bit further towards the tip of the tail, whereas Kimchi's seems to be a bit higher up, like a female's. However, many if not most Horsfields tend to look like females for a long time, until they mature and the tail grows much longer and thicker and is held to the side when they walk. The shape of the anal scute is wide and flat, like a male, but that isn't a foolproof method of sexing either. Here's a little article with some diagrams, so you can see what I mean (it calls them Russians (rather than Horsfield) tortoises, but that is what they are called in the USA:
http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ex-of.html

I'll ask Lin to come on and have a look too.

Have just popped out to the garden, and a lot of the Carex that has seeded itself are fairly good sized, but I could send you one largish plant and you can easily divide it up into smaller segments -- or I also have some growing out of cracks between paving stones, which are smaller, but I might not be able to get the roots out when I pull the plants up. Will have a go tomorrow, after I do the Big Garden Bird Watch.

Nina

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Jan 2024, 22:20

Hi Steve,

We've definitely got it noted down that you're looking for a tortoise in the West Yorkshire area, so fingers crossed! It's getting a bit confusing, though, having two different subjects being discussed in this thread, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've created for this little tortoise that you're about to welcome into your family, so if you want to post photos of what you've done, or any more questions about getting a tortoise, it would be great if you could start a new thread.

Lol, about your wife thinking you're mad -- I can guarantee that as soon as that little tortoise enters your lives, she'll become a great convert and you'll probably find her wandering around the garden or nearby verges, looking for lovely weeds to pick for that tortoise's dinner!

Nina

NicolasFischer

Post by NicolasFischer » 01 Feb 2024, 06:01

Kimchi's weight of 169g might be within a normal range, but it's essential to monitor his growth and ensure he's eating well. Maintaining the right temperature is crucial. Using the heat pad in the covered part of his table can create a gradient, offering him choices for temperature regulation. Tortoises often need a basking spot with a heat lamp to mimic their natural behavior.
For detailed guidance and insights into Horsfield tortoise husbandry, consider joining discussions on https://www.uwphotoring.com/. There, you can connect with experienced tortoise owners who can provide specific advice based on their experiences.