Tortoise Worm Count Kit

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
NarRakasa

Tortoise Worm Count Kit

Post by NarRakasa » 27 Sep 2023, 17:47

Well I contacted my vet about a worm test and they quoted me £165! Now I love my little Pattern, but that seems a little expensive to me!

After having a quick look online I've found this company: www.feclab.co.uk/faecal-egg-counts/exotics/ . Does anyone have any experience with using it? Or maybe suggest another?
Narr

Proudly sharing my home with one naughty rescue dog & a Hermann's Tortoise!

Nina

Re: Tortoise Worm Count Kit

Post by Nina » 27 Sep 2023, 20:13

I'm afraid I don't know that company. I assume it is OK, but the one we have always recommended is: https://www.parasitevet.co.uk/ and here is the page with their reptile test packages https://www.parasitevet.co.uk/store/Reptiles-c34596934 And I think the silver level should be adequate. If I remember correctly they send you a container, etc. and you sent them a sample and then you get a full report.

Do be aware that if a tortoise has a low level of worm eggs, most vets now recommend that they don't need to be treated, and in fact a light worm load is considered beneficial (it's something to do with aiding digestion), but a heavy load defiinitely does need treatment, and this is easily done with something like Panacur. Also, if you are going to a vet for treatment, and it is not a reptile vet, don't let him recommend Ivermectin for worming (it's completely safe for cats and dogs but lethal for tortoises, and not all ordinary vets are aware of that).

Nina

NarRakasa

Post by NarRakasa » 27 Sep 2023, 21:20

Hi Nina,

I've gone ahead and ordered from that site.

Thankies so much!
Narr

Proudly sharing my home with one naughty rescue dog & a Hermann's Tortoise!

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Sep 2023, 09:36

Good luck and let us know the results.

Nina