Adding a second tortoise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
NarRakasa

Adding a second tortoise

Post by NarRakasa » 27 Sep 2023, 17:32

Hey all,

I'm seriously considering getting a second Hermann's tortoise to keep Pattern company once she matures, I have a few questions though:

1. I'd like to rescue the second tortoise, do I need a quarantine period before I can put the two together?
2. Will the table (1022cm x 61cm) I currently have be big enough for two Hermanns?
3. Will I need a backup plan incase the two don't get along?

I really like to plan ahead!
Narr

Proudly sharing my home with one naughty rescue dog & a Hermann's Tortoise!

amorahous

Re: Adding a second tortoise

Post by amorahous » 04 Oct 2023, 04:35

It is crucial to keep new tortoises isolated from your current tortoises for at least 3 months, and preferably 6 to 8 months, after adding them to your creep. Since a whole year is the safest period, many people choose to quarantine.

turtcat

Re: Adding a second tortoise

Post by turtcat » 27 Dec 2023, 21:50

NarRakasa wrote:

Hey all,

I'm seriously considering getting a second Hermann's tortoise to keep

Pattern company once she matures, I have a few questions though:

1. I'd like to rescue the second tortoise, do I need a quarantine period before I can put the two together?
2. Will the table (1022cm x 61cm) I currently have be big enough for two Hermanns?
3. Will I need a backup plan incase the two don't get along?

I really like to plan ahead!

1. Yes, it's a good idea to quarantine a new tortoise before introducing it to your existing one. Quarantine helps to prevent the spread of potential diseases or parasites. Keep the new tortoise in a separate enclosure for at least a few weeks to monitor its health.

2. Well, it may be a bit small. Tortoises need A LOT of space to move around, explore, and establish their territories.

3. I think it's a good idea to have a backup plan in case the tortoises don't get along. Hermanns are generally social, but their personalities vary.
In numerology, the life path master number 11 represents your strengths in numerology.