Hibernation

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
TortyPerson2

Hibernation

Post by TortyPerson2 » 25 Sep 2023, 15:10

Hi everybody,

We've had Gonzales (9 year old Mediterranean spur thigh) for 2 years. He has never been hibernated in his whole life but we are considering letting him this year. Should we worm him now and get him checked out by a vet now i.e. in good time before he slows down? Unfortunately the nearest exotics vet is an 8 hour round trip but we do have a local small animal vet who has examined him before. Any other advice? I have read the guidance you have given to other mediterranean owners. We are definitely nervous and may yet back out!

Thanks,

TP

Nina

Re: Hibernation

Post by Nina » 25 Sep 2023, 19:38

Hi TP,

Funnily enough I have just put lots of information on hibernating in another thread that was posted today, and here is a link to it (it has links to all the hibernation information, the best thermometer to use, etc.). Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... 9260#p9260

I don't think there is any need to worm Gonlzales unless you are sure he has worms. If he had a heavy load then you would want to worm him, but chances are that he doesn't have worms, and even if he does have some most vets now believe that a light load of worms is actually beneficial to a tortoise (something to do with aidng digestion if I remember correctly). So really if you are happy that Gonzales is happy and healthy then I don't think a trip to the vet is necessary. Or maybe your local vet could have a look at him and if you take a poo sample with you he might have a look at it if he has a little microscope there (he will be looking for eggs rather than worms), or you could send a sample off to be tested (we can give you a good link and they send you a container etc. and give you full results) -- just let me know.

And don't worry about being nervous -- I still get nervous every year and I've been doing it for ages!

Nina

TortyPerson2

Re: Hibernation

Post by TortyPerson2 » 27 Sep 2023, 08:06

Thanks Nina