Cracked Shell - Urgent

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
PhilBen

Cracked Shell - Urgent

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 08:41

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that skippy seemed to have a couple of cracks etc on her shell. I have looked online and it says you can treat with toothbrush and warm water then a slight rub of antiseptic/bacterial cream. Is this correct ? could i use manuka honey ?

[attachment=0]IMG_20230916_083611.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_20230916_083611.jpg
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise

PhilBen

Re: Cracked Shell - Urgent

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 10:12

She has a bath 2-3 times a week. Also mulit vitamin powder and limestone flower powder on food 2-3 times a week. Being a novice i think it was the breeder as she was kept in a outhouse with no uvb or natural light. eyes and nose was ok but did not notice or look at the shell enough. my mistake. learning everyday. manuka honey with mgo 100+ is very good anti bacterial agent, wound healer for animals. hope i can use with skippy ?
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Sep 2023, 10:46

Hi Phil,

I think I can see the area you are talking about -- the scute to the left of the nuchal (small central) scute, where at the front it looks like the top layer of the scute is starting to separate from the bottom layer, and then there is a white sort of dot on the left-hand margin of that scute where it meets the next scute, and I would like to know what that is too.

I am not a vet, but this could be the start of some shell rot. Shell rot is caused by bacteria getting into the shell, and can be got rid of with care. I know Manuka honey is good for many types of wounds, but I'm not sure that I would put it on the tortoise's shell, as it could clog the pores (I could be wrong though).

I would wash the area with soap and a soft brush, as you suggested. Then thoroughly dry it and treat it with Tamodine or Betadine, and the Tamodine/Betadine treatment would have to be repeated every day.

Having said all of that, I can't say for sure that it is shell rot, and it could be just a natural deformity of the scute, but it might be best to have her seen by an exotics vet. I think you took Shelly to a vet (or I might be misremembering), but not Skippy yet. If you did see a good vet, then you could perhaps email the photo to him or her and ask for an opinion before you actually make an appointment to see them.

I'm really surprised that the breeder you bought from was not providing UVB for his tortoises! I'm glad that you have a good source of UVB for Skippy because that will help with healing too, if it is shell rot.

I've asked Lin to come and have a look at this photo too, as she might have a different view.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 11:18

Thanks Nina, i will go and get some now.
Phil

lin

Post by lin » 16 Sep 2023, 11:33

Hold on Phil. Nina and I are conversing.
Don’t buy anything yet.

Lin

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 11:59

Ok, here are more pics,

[attachment=1]IMG_20230916_115544.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]IMG_20230916_115511.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_20230916_115650.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_20230916_115650.jpg
IMG_20230916_115544.jpg
IMG_20230916_115511.jpg
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Sep 2023, 12:19

I'm really sorry, Phil, but this is not good at all, and the breeder shouldn't have sold you this tortoise. Lin and I have been looking closely at the photos and we do think that it could be some sort of shell rot.

With the scute at the front near the head, is that white dot softer than the shell, if you put your nail on it? Can you smell anything in that area? The scute near the tail looks like it is starting to lift (I can see some white on the right hand side of it which might be the bone underneath), and the hole on the bottom shell (plastron) also looks not good -- is the pink area in the middle soft?

I think you need to see your vet a.s.a.p. You can send him those photos first, and see what he thinks, but I think he will need to see Skippy as well. In the meantime try to keep him as clean as possible, and you could get some Tamodine -- you can get it various places online, but here is the manufacturer's site: https://www.vetark.co.uk/products/fish/tamodine-wound
and put it on the three sites that you have sent photos of (or you could ask the vet on Monday if this is what he would do). I'm not sure if the Tamodine will need to be diluted or not, but it will say on the bottle. The vet might also give you an antibiotic cream to put on it.

If this is shell rot then eventually the scute will come off on its own, and the bone underneath will heal, but I would have a word with the vet and if it is shell rot then you must tell the breeder this (you can get a note from the vet), as he should not have sold you a tortoise with shell rot. This is a condition that will have been going on long before you bought Skippy, so it has not happened while he has been under your care, which has only been a few weeks.

Lin and I will be thinking of you and please let us know how you get on, but we are really cross that this breeder is allowing tortoises to develop shell rot (it often develops when conditions are not hygenic so that bacteria can get in and take hold), and then selling them on to people.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 12:41

Thank you both i will keep you updated
Phil

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 15:00

Will contact vet on monday, now treated with tamodine.
Phil

lin

Post by lin » 16 Sep 2023, 17:02

Phil I have to say you are fast becoming the perfect tortoise keeper. I congratulate you.
Looking forward to some good news when we next hear from you.

Lin

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 16 Sep 2023, 19:57

Have a good weekend both of you. Many thanks for all your help
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Sep 2023, 20:05

You too, Phil. You're a star, and Shelly and Skippy are really lucky to have found a home with you and your family.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 17 Sep 2023, 19:12

Sent email to vets with images, none of the areas smell or is soft in any way. The good news, 2 days of treatment and already looking a bit better. After watching many video's last night it seems 2-3 weeks of daily treatment should clear it up. lets keep fingers crossed.
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Sep 2023, 20:03

That's great news, Phil -- thanks so much for letting us know.

The vet might want to prescribe an antibiotic cream as well, but see what he says. It's so good that you have acted quickly and prevented this from getting any worse.

After you see what the vet has to say about the condition of Skippy's shell and his health in general, I do think you should go back to the breeder and complain. Are you sure that the person you saw was an actual breeder and had not just acquired the tortoises somewhere and was selling them on? Did you see the parents of the baby tortoises?

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 17 Sep 2023, 21:08

I sent him a text yesterday. he did reply saying sorry to hear that. He did have quite a few tortoises inside and out. We did get a certificate for both shelly who our daughter bought and skippy who we bought. From his redponse yesterday, he might not be the reputable person we thought he was.
Phil