Table to outside run

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
PhilBen

Table to outside run

Post by PhilBen » 12 Aug 2023, 20:20

Hi my question is. if your table is 30 one end and 20 the other. Its a summers day about 22/23 sunny, is it better to put your tortoise out. What detetmins when to put your tortoise out and then in ?

Thanks
Phil
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise

Nina

Re: Table to outside run

Post by Nina » 12 Aug 2023, 22:10

Personally, I would always put my tortoise outdoors if possible, because the UVB from the sun is of a higher quality than what we can provide indoors, and they do love to be outside. The general guideline is that if you can wear a short-sleeved t-shirt outdoors then your tortoise can go out. I also put mine out when it's sunny but a bit cooler, but maybe for not as long. I warm them up indoors, put them out and then every now and then feel their shells and if their shells feel cool I bring them in for a warm-up and then put them out again.

Torts are also very good at finding a sunny spot and then angling themselves against a wall or someting so that they get the best rays of the sun and warm up efficiently. You can also have a little mini greenhouse -- a small house made of clear plastic that they can go into and warm up, because if the sun is out then the temperature in that little 'greenhouse' will be increased.

Some tortoises, however, live in the garden for most of the time, and they manage to adapt (even though our cooler temperatures are not what they would experience in their native habitats).

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 13 Aug 2023, 01:16

It might be interesting for you to know that the uv measuring system from 1 to 10 in England was actually 6 on Thursday. Even though it was dull, overcast and cloudy. Today with the sunshine in the south east it was between 3 and 5.

The strength of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation is expressed as a Solar UV Index or Sun Index.The UV Index does not exceed 8 in the UK (8 is rare; 7 may occur on exceptional days, mostly in the two weeks around the summer solstice). Indices of 9 and 10 are common in the Mediterranean area. The Sun Index forecast refers to the daily maximum.

The moral of the story is don’t let the lack of sunshine fool you into thinking it’s not ok for tortoises be out. If the tortoise is out and walking around eating the chances are the temps and uv are a lot better than you think, feel the shell. If tortoise is hiding, not walking around or eating, again, feel the shell. You will learn a lot from your tortoise, a UVB meter can be purchased cheap enough but feeling the tortoises shell will tell you a lot more.

Lin

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 14 Aug 2023, 15:29

Thank you for the info
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise