Soaking your tortoise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Hedgehog

Soaking your tortoise

Post by Hedgehog » 10 Aug 2022, 18:58

I bathe my year old tortoises,Tufty and Zippy daily in warm water.
A friend told me that I should buy a reptile soaking solution to add to their bath to keep them happy and healthy. Her mother in law has a 70 Yr old tortoise and she swears by it. Not sure what it is called.
Does anyone use it or recommend it? Thanks

lin

Re: Soaking your tortoise

Post by lin » 10 Aug 2022, 19:13

Hi Hedgehog. How are you and your tortoise coping with this hot weather?

With regards to bathing your little tortoise daily in just plain water is amazing, you carry on doing just that. A tortoise only needs water (unless they have a wallow to use where they will have muddy water) anything that is likely to cover or block the pores of the shell has the potential to block the absorption of the UV rays either from the natural sunshine or a UVB lamp in the enclosure.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 10 Aug 2022, 22:13

Hi Hedgehog. You posted this question twice, and Lin has answered it here, and I answered the other post before I saw this one. Here's a link to my answer: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... =12&t=2527
If it is Reptoboost that she is soaking the tortoise in (you mentioned that it was a 'reptile soaking solution'), then it wouldn't clog the pores in the shell, but if she is using anything else, especially something with any type of oil in it, then it could possibly clog the pores in the shell.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 10 Aug 2022, 22:37

I think it would be worth mentioning that Reptiboost contains glucouse, which is sugar, and too higher sugar levels is as bad for tortoises as it is for us. Reptiboost should only be used as and when needed for tortoises if a tortoise is ill, it should also be rinsed off after use.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 10 Aug 2022, 22:55

Yes, I agree with what Lin has said, so don’t change your husbandry — you’re doing just fine.

Nina

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 11 Aug 2022, 19:54

Thank you all.
They are loving the hot weather - they are on holiday in Anglesey at present. They have a shallow dish in the garden to paddle in to cool off.
Yes I think it was Reptoboost. Will not bother with it and continue with plain water.
Thanks again for all your replies and help

Nina

Post by Nina » 11 Aug 2022, 22:02

Lol, lucky for some! --- I wish I was on holiday in Anglesey with a nice cool pool to dip into! Enjoy your stay there!

Nina