Soaking your tortoise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Hedgehog

Soaking your tortoise

Post by Hedgehog » 10 Aug 2022, 18:57

I bathe my year old tortoises,Tufty and Zippy daily in warm water.
A friend told me that I should buy a reptile soaking solution to add to their bath to keep them happy and healthy. Her mother in law has a 70 Yr old tortoise and she swears by it. Not sure what it is called.
Does anyone use it or recommend it? Thanks

Nina

Re: Soaking your tortoise

Post by Nina » 10 Aug 2022, 22:08

Hi Hedgehog,

The only reptile soaking solution that I can think of is Reptoboost. It's very useful if you have a tortoise that is unwell, or is undergoing veterinary treatment, or has had an injury and needs a boost to help it recover, but it's really not necessary at all for healthy tortoises. It won't do a healthy tortoise any harm, but I don't think I'd recommend it as an addition to the bath on a regular basis, as there's no need for it. Here's a link to the information about it on the manufacturer's website: https://www.vetark.co.uk/products/reptile/reptoboost

It's lovely that the lady has a 70 year old tortoise, but if it has a healthy life and a good diet, then I doubt that the soaking in Reptoboost has anything to do with its longevity. I think you're doing just fine bathing Tufty and Zippy daily in warm water, and I'd just stick to that routine.

Nina