Tortoise skin on his neck

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Hedgehog

Tortoise skin on his neck

Post by Hedgehog » 04 Aug 2022, 15:51

Zippy is just one year old and is a Mediterranean tortoise. I noticed this week that he has a patch of flaky skin on the top of his neck. You only see it when he extends his head. Does it need treatment? Have I done something wrong? Thanks

Nina

Re: Tortoise skin on his neck

Post by Nina » 04 Aug 2022, 19:55

Hi Hedgehog,

Thanks for contacting us, and there is nothng at all to worry about. All reptiles shed their skin as they grow, because their skin doesn't grow and expand like ours does as they get bigger. Snakes shed their all in one piece, but tortoises shed their skin in bits, and you will often see flakes of sking hanging loose. Don't be tempted to pull it off -- just let it come off in its own time. Mine have flakes of skin coming off on their necks at the moment, and you will also see this happen on the upper part of the legs as well. Zippy is just being a normal tortoise and he'll be just fine (and I love his name too!).

Nina
P.S. Just to say your post came in three times, so I've deleted two of the posts, as they were the same as this one -- could you let me know if you can see this answer OK?

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 05 Aug 2022, 07:25

Hi Nina
Thank you so much for your reply. I should have thought of that myself really - I forget that tortoises are reptiles!
Zippy has put weight on so that must be right. My other one Tufty was fine so I was concerned for Zip.
Sorry about 3 posts - I have a new phone that I'm still getting used to.
Thanks again for your help

Nina

Post by Nina » 05 Aug 2022, 07:57

No problem about the three posts, and glad to be of help. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or problems.

Best,
Nina