Post First Brumation Update

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
StuartD

Post First Brumation Update

Post by StuartD » 02 Feb 2022, 17:11

So our grumpy two - Crwban & Crempog had their first ever brumation, and for ease we went with the fridge method.

As this was their first brumation with us, we read, and read, and read and then did some prep. So if anybody has any questions about this, then please feel free to ask. I will also add that I know this isn't for everyone but it worked for us, and our current lifestyle.

They went in for eight (8) weeks, and were quickly checked and weighed on a weekly basis. To my astonishment neither of them lost a single gram. After 8 weeks we followed a wake up guide which, in hindsight I think we should have left them sleep for longer. However all research said for juveniles then it should be 8 weeks maximum.

It's now been 3 weeks since we woke them up, and only now are they starting to spend more than 4 to 6hrs pootling around, etc. Instead they have tended to find a warm, dampish spot and dig down. The attached photos are from today after their bath - which Grmupy and Grumpier didn't really appreciate. The interesting thing (for me anyway) is that Fatty McTortoise (Crwban / aka Grumpier)) has put on 15g sometime over the last 3 weeks, and we're not sure where from as they spent most of the time buried and sleeping :D In contrast Grumpy has put on a stately 3g, but one of the water bowls had a huge poo in it so...

Anyway, here they are. The log books are proving very useful.
Attachments
Crempog.jpg
Crwban.jpg

Nina

Re: Post First Brumation Update

Post by Nina » 02 Feb 2022, 19:10

Hi Stuart,

Great to hear from you, and so glad that C&C (or the 'Dynamic Duo', as I shall refer to them in future) are doing well. It sounds to me like they had a textbook perfect brumation, and long may they continue to thrive!

Thanks so much for posting that update, as I think it will be a great help to people who are going through their first tortoise brumation. And I have to say those photos you attached are super!

Nina