Weight fkuctuation

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Teddy28

Weight fkuctuation

Post by Teddy28 » 04 Oct 2021, 10:10

Hi Nina, hi Lin

I've not really been in touch much since Boris came out of hibernation in February. As a reminder, Boris came to me just over 2 years ago from an elderly gentleman who was reducing his collection. Boris overwintered in 2019 (his first winter with me) then last year with help from him and yourselves, I achieved my first hibernation using a husky beer cooler.
As with other tortoises Boris has sensed the change of weather and gone into sleepy mode. He came indoors under his heat and light and UV lamp set up probably 4 weeks ago but going outside for a few hours when sun and temperatures have allowed.
He has been eating but only when I put the food in front of him, but I feel he's still eating reasonably well.
I record his weight before bath and after bath. But I forgot to record his weight on Wednesday so only have today's and 25/09 to compare, which were
25/09 603 before bath (BB)
606 AB
04/10 632 BB
610 AB

Yes 632g before his bath today! He produced a lot of urates in the bath which weighed approx 4g and I'm guessing quite a lot of urine too. But it seems a huge jump from 603g up to 632g, but not so much of a jump with a weight of 610g after his bath.
Does this make sense? Could it be that he's very inactive but still eating that gave him the weight gain or has he been holding on to fluids because I'm not bathing him often enough?
Looking at my observation booklet, he weighed in at 636g BB in June last year, did 5 poos in his bath and was 617g after his bath.
Just interested to know your thoughts.
Thanks