Temperature

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Amber10

Temperature

Post by Amber10 » 13 May 2021, 07:37

Hi we brought the hygiplas thermometer u recommended it's reading 29.9 to 30 out we are hoping this is correct
Thanks

Nina

Re: Temperature

Post by Nina » 13 May 2021, 15:55

Hi Amber,

That's a perfect temperature, as long as you are measuring it almost directly under the light and at the height of the tortoise's shell. If the probe from the thermometer is away from the light (even a couple of inches), it will show a lower temperature that it really is under the light. But it sounds like you've got the temperature exactly right.

Does it have a Max/Min facility? That shows you how hot and how cold it got since you last reset that function and is very useful to see how cold it got in the night or how hot it got on a warm day. With some models you have to open the battery case and take the battery out and put it in again to reset it, but with the latest ones I've had you just hold the Max/Min button down for a couple of seconds and it resets.

Regarding 'Out' and 'In' the thermometers differ, and I have one where 'out' is what the temperature is in the table, and one where 'in' is what it is in the table, but it's easy to tell as which ever temperature ('out' or 'in) is higher is bound to be the one in the table.

I hope you're happy with the thermometer and let us know how you get on with it.

Nina