Another nervous new owner

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Lottie

Another nervous new owner

Post by Lottie » 25 Sep 2020, 03:25

Hi, I'm Lottie, and in about 6 hours I will become Mum to little Boris!!
I've never kept a tortoise before. Dogs and cats were my limit, but my cousin was selling this little guy and well, I couldn't resist.
Apparently he is about 3 years old and has a certificate. I don't even know what breed of tortoise he is bless him.
Anyway, I'll attach the photos she sent me to introduce my little man.[attachment=2]received_2503548579935043.jpeg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]received_1041688216276753.jpeg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]received_696798937845833.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
received_696798937845833.jpeg
received_1041688216276753.jpeg
received_2503548579935043.jpeg

Nina

Re: Another nervous new owner

Post by Nina » 25 Sep 2020, 09:52

Hi Lottie,

Welcome to The Tortoise Table, and many congratulations on welcoming Boris into your home. How exciting for you, and what a lovely little tortoise he is! Identifying species isn't my strongest point, but someone will come on here soon and let you know. In the meantime, it will say on his certificate what species he is), and when we know the species I will send you a care sheet.

In the meantime, I think he has a very nice tortoise table, with lots of things to climb over and walk around, so it's a really good start.
Can I ask what bulb that is that you are using for heat and light? Is it a combined heat/light and UVB bulb? A good UVB bulb is very important as it enables the tortoise to make Vitamin D3, which will allow him to absorb and use the calcium in his diet (and tortoises need a lot of calcium for all that bone and shell). UVb bulbs only last between one and two years (after that they still give out light and heat, but no UVB), so if that was a bulb that he had while he was with your cousin for a long time then he might need another one.

Do you have a good themometer that can measure the temperature directly below your light and at the height of Boris's shell? With colder days coming in you might have lower the light a bit to get the right temperature in the table. You are aiming for 30C directly below the lamp and at the height of his shell, and about 20C at the cooler end. And no heat is needed at night unless the temperature drops below about 13C - 14C or so.

Does he have an extra source of calcium -- like a cuttlefish bone or calcium carbonate powder that you can sprinkle on his food? It is also good to get a good calcium and vitamin D3 supplement that you can sprinkle on -- like Nutrobal.

It's obviously very early days, but I can tell you've fallen in love with Boris already and that you are going to be an excellent tortoise keeper, so ask all the questions you want. And do send more photos (we never tire of looking at photos of tortoises!).

Nina

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 25 Sep 2020, 13:01

Thank you so much for your reply Nina, its very much appreciated.
He is now home with me but without his table at the moment. Its too big for where he is going to live so my cousins husband is going to make it to my measurements so for a few days he will have a large long plastic box, which I'm making a make shift cover for with a bit of trellis and chicken wire, with all his current bits and pieces in.

He is a Hermann tortoise and was hatched in 2017. His certificate says he is microchipped (where on earth do they put that in something so little??). I have definitely fallen in love already.

I have no idea about the bulb and my cousin doesn't either. The only thing I can see on the bulb is that it is a ProRep and a serial number. I will do a Google search and see what I can find. I will also be looking at better lamps and thermometers for him for the very near future, in the meantime I've cranked the heating up to 25°C, not great for my hot flushes but anything for little Boris!!

The care sheet will be a massive help, thank you. I will also be buying some supplements for him too. I'm just putting a list together and will order new substrate etc tonight. In the meantime I'm off to pick him some nice juicy dandelion leaves to snack on.

Its going to be a learning curve but I'm so looking forward to it.

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Sep 2020, 13:30

Hi Lottie,

Hurrah -- he is here! And here's a link to a good care sheet for him:
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf

Regarding his new table -- do remember that it should be as big as possible in the space you can allow. Even if you have to make it 'L'-shaped to go round a corner or something, that would help. Tortoises need a lot of space to roam, and to wander in and out of warm and cool areas, and they get bored in a small space. If you are going to make a table, you could consider making one with a ramp that goes up to a little second leve,, which would give him exercise going up and down.

Pro Rep bulbs can be with or without UVB, but if it is a UVB bulb you mustn't look directly into it, as it can damage your eyes. Before you buy anything (lamps, substrate, supplements, check with us on what you are buying because there are good and bad ones. I can recommend some types of lighting and heating for your, supplements, etc., but unfortunately I have to go out now and won''t be back until this evening. In the meantime, have a read of our articles here on housing, lighting, etc.: 26C is OK, and in fact they need a temperature of 26C just to digest their food, but you really want to aim for it to be 30C under thhe lamp and 20C at the cool end.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... 23iLu3TXVw
And if you look under the Care tab on our website there are other articles there as well: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Cheers,
Nina

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 25 Sep 2020, 14:40

I truly can't thank you enough!! Your advice on substrate, supplements, bulbs etc would be fab when you've got time.

The space I've got at the moment is 1.2 metres long and 50cm wide. I'm currently running down an aquarium and once that has gone I've got the same length but can make it wider. My best friend absolutely loves animals and creatures and he is as excited as me to have little Boris, so he'll definitely be making a ramp for him lol.

I'm going to get stuck into reading the information you have recommended whilst I let Boris have a wander round his temporary digs bless him.

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Sep 2020, 19:29

Hi Lottie,

Regarding Boris's palace :D -- the measurements you've given will be OK for a while, because he is so small, but as he grows he will need more space, so maybe that is something to think about in the future if you can't do it now. Will you have an outside area where he can go when the weather is warm enough (probably not until next year now, but you never know, and if you can be outside in a sort sleeved t-shirt then he can go out too)? Tortoises do love being outside and the UVB from the sun is far superior to any that we provide indoors. And it's easy to build a secure enclosure for them.

Regarding substrate. In the wild they live on fairly sandy soil, so we recommend that you use a mixture of ordinary sterilised topsoil, mixed with children's play sand, and bags of both can be bought at garden centre, Homebase and places like that. Most people mix it about 50/50, but many also prefer a higher percentage of soil to sand (I mix mine about 60/40 or 70/30). Make it as deep as you can, so that he can bury himself completely if he wants to, and every other day or so give it a light spray with water to keep it from getting dusty (or you can just pour some water on it and mix it up well so that the end result is just the teeny tiniest bit damp -- not at all wet. You can buy a substrate called Tortoise Life, but it's expensive and much cheaper to get the topsoil and playsand.

For lighting there are basically two systems, which are explained in one of the links I gave you: a combined heat/light and UVB mercury vapour bulb, or an ordinary household spotlight or reptile basking bulb for heat and light and then a fluorescent tube for the UVB. It means that you have to have two separate lighting things, but it is more flexible (you can raise or lower the heat/light bulb without moving the UVB source further away or closer. You also want to make sure that you can raise and lower the heat source in order to increase or lower the temperature in the table as needed.

Supplements. You can buy Nutrobal online or at most pet shops. It is basically a calcium supplement with added D3, and there are other products (like RepCal and Reptavite) which do that as well, but some supplements don't have the D3. Good to keep a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure so that he can nibble at will.

The sort of thermometer that is best is one that allows you to take the temperature directly below the lamp at the height of the tortoise's shell, so I use one of those fridge/freezer thermomerters with a digital display unit that can sit outside the table and then a probe on the end of a cord that you hang down into the table near the circle of light. Something like this, but if you google 'digital fridge freezer thermometer' you will see lots. https://www.nisbets.co.uk/hygiplas-digi ... meter/f343
It's good to get one with a Max/Min facility so that you can see how hot or cold it got since you last set the facility (useful for seeing how cold it got overnight).

Would you like a complimentary copy of our Tortoise Observation Records Booklet? It just provides you with somewhere to keep all your records in one place (vet details, growth records, change of equipment, hibernation, etc.). If you'd like one just send your name and address to me at nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk and I'll pop one in the post to you.

What are you feeding him? Lol, that's a whole other discussion!

Sorry to have gone on at such length. And do keep those questions coming --- that's what we're here for.

Nina

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 25 Sep 2020, 20:57

You carry on at length, I need all the info and advice as I can get, and it's very gratefully received!!

I've been thinking about when he needs more room and I will just have to get rid of an armchair lol, he can have a lovely big table then, and multi storey :D

I only have a tiny slabbed garden but have a raised "flower bed" (a built up place where the builders chucked all their rubbish when they built the house :roll: ) I slabbed over it because it was easier with the dogs, but I'm sure my friend and I can turn it into a nice outdoor arena for him. We can put proper caging around and over it to keep him safe and secure from predators and a yampy 2 year old cocker spaniel!! He'll never be left outside alone though. I doubt I'll be able to have him outside this year now, the garden gets almost no sun between now and spring.

He came to me with a tub of manufactured tortoise food. I don't like to think of him eating that so I gave him a couple of dandelion leaves at teatime. He had a little munch, not too much but it was nice to see him eat something. I'll be raiding the neighbours gardens for him lol. I don't know if he's had a drink, he's certainly walked through his water :lol:

The substrate sounds easy enough so a trip to the garden centre on Sunday I think. I'll order him a cuttlefish or 2, or pop into Pets at Home to get him some. I was also wondering if he needs any sort of special bedding? Or will he prefer to dig himself into his substrate or get under one of his hides? He's asleep now, my living room is very dimly lit once it drops dark outside. I've drawn the curtains and knocked the heating down to 15°C for him. He's not buried himself so I'm hoping he'll be ok bless him. I'll have him under the heat lamp tomorrow. I've got a cooking thermometer that I'll use until I get a decent one.

I think I prefer the sound of the UVB tube and seperate basking lamp.

Well, I've got a shopping list as long as my arm so I'm going online shopping for my little man. He is going to be one spoilt little fella :lol:

Oh and I'll email you my address for the booklet, that will be a huge help to keep a record of his progress so thank you xx

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Sep 2020, 22:17

Hi Lottie,

I think you are sorting out things very nicely!

If you decide to get the UVB tube, get one that is close to being as long as the table if possible (a 3' one seems about right). This means that there will be a good spread of UVB everywhere, You will also need a reflector. This is a curved piece of aluminium or something, that just clips directly onto the tube. It protects your eyes from the UVB (UBV can damage your eyes if you look directly at the tube), plus it directs up to 30% more of the UVB rays down into the table. https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/komodo-t8-reflector/ They might well have them at Pets at Home.

And you certainly have the right instincts to be a good tortoise keeper. Commercial food on the whole isn't great for them, because it tends to be too high in protein and contains things like soy and maize that they wouldn't eat. Some of the products out there re better now though -- what is yours called? Weeds and flowers are definitely the best thing for them (dandelions, sowthistle, pansies, plantain -- lots of things). On the database on our website you can either type in the name of a plant to get information about whether it is safe to feed, or you can use the filter tool. Have a look at this page and scroll down to the 'How to Use the Traffic Light Filters' https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... 25aCO3TWM8 Using that tool you can produce whole lists of plants that are good to feed to Boris.

No special bedding is necessary for him -- they like nothing better than to dig down into a nice sandy soil mixture. Or they sometimes just fall asleep where they are, or in a corner. You can make the loveliest little sleeping area for them and then they'll just ignore it sometimes (they do that to keep you on their toes and to reinforce the idea that they are unpredictable!).

Some tortoise drink from their bowl and some don't. It's a good idea to bathe him every other day or so, in a container that he can't see out of (like an old washing up bowl), in warm water that comes just up to his chin (or where the top shell meets the bottom shell), for 15 - 20 minutes. You might have to keep topping up the water to keep it warm, but and hopefully he will have a drink, but the added advantage of this is that they usually wee and poo in the water, which saves spot cleaning the table. I also wet the food I give mine, so that they get a little bit of extra water that way.

I think you could make a really nice outdoor enclosure for him in your raised bed area (how big is it?). You can put log roll or something up for walls and just dump lots of substrate on top of the slaps. I once built an outdoor enclosure on a concrete patio by doing that, and it worked well (have attached a couple of photos - under that soil is a concrete patio).

Nina
[attachment=1]IMG_1172 (600 x 450).jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_1237 [Desktop Resolution].JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_1237 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
IMG_1172 (600 x 450).jpg

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 26 Sep 2020, 21:08

Hi :D

It was so nice to get up this morning, open the curtains and watch him poke his little head out when I said hello to him!! He was in the same place I left him to sleep last night but his water bowl was empty this morning so I'm hoping maybe he did have a drink.

The food I've got is ProRep tortoise food. I've read the ingredients and it mentions cow parsley which I'm sure I read in the plant section as a no no. I'm going to start some herbs and pansies in the spare room for now and then transfer some to the outside enclosure in the spring. The area will be about 5' x 4' and I'm really starting to see the area coming together. The photos of yours look fab Nina!!

He'll be having a bath tomorrow (hopefully) when I've been shopping for his bits and pieces. I've reserved a brand new tea towel just for him. I hope he likes his bath, I'm looking forward to it lol.

He's asleep now but I will try and get some photos of him tomorrow, especially when he's having his bath xx

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Sep 2020, 11:05

Hi Lottie,

Do you know which ProRep food you've got? They do a range and some are lower protein/higher fibre (which is good) than others. It's really good to grow your own food though. What herbs are you growing (there are quite a lot of herbs that torts don't like so much, but if you can grow them for you and him that's a dual bonus.

You can buy seeds especially to grow for tortoises from places like Shelled Warriors (I would choose a small pack of a mixed selection for a start). Here's a link to a page: https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/s ... s-54-c.asp
and maybe something like this: https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/l ... 3373-p.asp or this https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/1 ... 3326-p.asp but there are lots to choose from. I think it's a good idea to grow seeds in a succession of small trays (think the size of tray you'd buy two chicken breasts in), sowing a new one every couple of weeks. Then when one tray of plants is big enough you can put that in his table and let him nibble away to his heart's content and when that is finished another tray will be ready (although if he is greedy he might eat it all in one go!).

Did he like his bath? They often don't at first (which is why it's a good idea to use a container he can't see out of, because if they can see out then they will try and get out), but they do get used to it and end up enjoying the baths. Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Cheers,
Nina

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 27 Sep 2020, 16:09

Hi Nina,

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20200927-155220_Chrome.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Screenshot_20200927-155157_Chrome.jpg[/attachment]

This is the one that came with him.

I absolutely love the idea of the tortoise seed mix and putting them in his table to help himself. Those will be ordered today and grown in sterilised top soil for him.
He's a proper little character bless him, loves me rubbing his little head with my finger and talking to him. He's not so keen having a tickle under his chin tho :lol:
I've watched him eat this morning and I'm completely fascinated!! Considering he has no teeth he was happily tearing chunks out of his dandelion leaves and having a good old munch. I could watch him for hours :D
He's not had his bath yet as I've got a couple of questions and I want to do it right. What's the best time of day to do it? I was wondering if early evening is OK or if it'll make him too cold to sleep or if it'll keep him awake. He falls asleep around 7pm, before I've even turned the heating down (he's alot easier to get to sleep than my son was!! :roll: :lol: ). Also do I use a cotton bud to clean his little head or his armpits. I want him to have an enjoyable bath bless him.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200927-155220_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200927-155157_Chrome.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Sep 2020, 17:41

Hi Lottie,

It's not a terrible pellet, as it does include long fibres, calcium and vitamin D3, so I think you could use it, but maybe just every now and then, to supplement his natural food. I was given a sample of that once several years ago, when they were preparing to bring it out, and if I remember it had really hard little sticks -- like bits of stem, but too hard for my tortoises to eat, and I didn't think much of it.

It is interesting to watch them eat. And one of the reasons we don't cut their food up for them is that the act of holding down the plant and tearing at it helps to build up their muscles. And they have amazingly strong jaws (which you will discover if he ever bites you).

Re the bath, I don't think it matters what time of day, but probably in the morning or afternoon, rather than just before bed (not sure why I think that, but it just seems better to me). It shouldn't make him cold at all, because you want that water nice and warm -- about the temperature you would bath a baby in -- and you might have to top it up with more warm water if it starts to cool down. There's no need to clean his little head or armpits, and if you try to he might get a bit alarmed. Often they will put their head in the water (sometimes to drink and sometimes just to wet it) and then you will see them rubbing their wet face with their arms to clean it. The idea of the bath isn't really to clean him, but to rehydrate him. Some tortoises do drink in the bath and some don't, but there is a theory that they can also take up a bit of water through their cloaca (the hole in the tail that they wee and poo from). And the added benefit is that they do often wee and poo in the bath, so there is less for you to clean out of the table.

I hope that both you and he enjoy his first bath!

Nina

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 27 Sep 2020, 18:28

Thanks for that Nina, much appreciated.

The seeds have been ordered so I may put a few of the dried bits in to tide him over along with his leaves until his first seeds are ready, then place a few bits in with them and gradually reduce them so that he eventually only eats fresh.

Thank you also for the advice re the bath. I don't want to upset him so no cotton buds!! He'll be bathed now in the morning as he'll shortly be going to sleep. I'm excited to see how he reacts bless him. I will definitely take pictures :D

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 28 Sep 2020, 20:40

[attachment=0]20200928_203717.jpg[/attachment]So, Boris's first bath time this afternoon and I think he liked it!! No wee or poo but I'm sure that'll come. I was talking to him the whole time and he was looking up at me. And he washed his little face!! I just melted, it was too cute lol!! Once I got him out I put him on the arm of the sofa and gave him some leaves to munch on. He didn't disappoint lol!! I got some lovely videos and photos of him. I'm not sure if I can upload videos on here but here's some pictures xx [attachment=2]20200928_193757.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]20200928_203742.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]20200928_203717.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]20200928_203717.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20200928_203717.jpg
20200928_203742.jpg
20200928_193757.jpg

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 28 Sep 2020, 20:41

[attachment=0]20200927_211245.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20200927_211245.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Sep 2020, 22:11

Oh Lottie, he is absolutely gorgeous! And I can see that this is definitely a mutual love affair between the two of you. A year ago, if someone told you that you would form an emotional attachment to a reptile, would you have believed them? :D

Nina
[attachment=0]turtsdancing.gif[/attachment]
Attachments
turtsdancing.gif
turtsdancing.gif (71.62 KiB) Viewed 9859 times

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 29 Sep 2020, 01:22

Lol, we are building up a very lovely bond, much to the confusion of my cocker spaniel Lola, who I'm sure thinks I've lost the last of my marbles and I've taken to washing and talking to a pebble!! :lol: :lol:
If someone had said a year ago that I would be smitten with a tortoise then I would have said "I wish, but cant afford one". When I was little my aunt had a tortoise called Timmy, I can just about remember him but apparently I was obsessed with him from as early as I could walk. I was forever picking him up and loving him, and I followed him everywhere, so that love has always been there for them.

I've realised he did have a wee in his bath tonight!! I've been looking at the health section and read about the urates. I saw the white around his back end and thought maybe a small strand of cotton had somehow got into the bath water. It looked like a little white blob of toothpaste just smaller than my little finger nail when I got him out so just thought it was something that had come off him from his substrate. I'm so pleased he's had a wee, just waiting for a poo now lol xx

Lottie

Post by Lottie » 30 Sep 2020, 21:52

Thank you so much for the record booklet Nina, its great and I shall start using it after Fridays bath time. I was going to do it tonight but I'm in agony with a tooth abscess so didn't want the faff tonight. He's had his bath though, another wee just after he got in, a drink and he washed his face. He is so reactive to me its lovely. He had his leaves and a tiny bit of strawberry too. He wasn't sure about the strawberry to start with and I swear he looked at me as if to say ooohh this is new lol. He'll only be having a tiny bit once in a while as a little treat.

Once he'd finished eating he crawled onto me and rested on my boob and was falling asleep with me stroking his little head bless him!!

My friend is here making Boris's table for him. Its going to be about 6" wider than I originally thought. I've bought the top soil and play sand ready to be mixed, bought his nutrobal and cuttlefish and I'll be buying his UVB/basking lamp next Wednesday when I'm paid again.

Will send pics of his new palace tomorrow xx