Travelling with a Tortoise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Argonaut1664

Travelling with a Tortoise

Post by Argonaut1664 » 26 Aug 2020, 12:21

We would like to buy a Herman tortoise but after some advice about travelling in a car with them. We have a holiday home we frequently go to for a weekend once or twice a month which is 2hrs in the car. We would have the same set up at both houses so the tortoise would be comfortable but would like any advice if the tortoise would be ok to travel.
We have been told we could leave on its own for a weekend but that would concern us in case it ended up on its back etc so really want to know if we could bring it back and to with us?
Any suggestions or advice very much appreciated.

Judiom

Re: Travelling with a Tortoise

Post by Judiom » 27 Sep 2020, 17:42

I've never travelled with my tortoise and I am a bit worried. I was invited to visit my friend's new condo in Phuket https://tranio.com/thailand/phuket/apartments/condo/ and I will have to fly from London to Thailand. The problem is that I don't have anybody with whom I can live my pet and I will have to take it with me but it's a really long trip. Or other option is to give it to a local pet hotel and rely on their care while I am gone. What would you choose?
Last edited by Judiom on 30 Sep 2020, 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

Nina

Re: Travelling with a Tortoise

Post by Nina » 27 Sep 2020, 18:33

Hi Judiom,

The question that started this thread was answered in another thread, here, in case that helps you: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... 6189#p6189

How long will you be away from home? Is it possible to have the lights and heating on a timer and ask a neigbhour or friend to come in each day to check on the tortoise and feed it? You can leave bags of freshly picked leaves and flowers plus a damp paper towel inside the bag in the fridge and they will keep for up to five days. I am not sure that you would be able to take a tortoise into Thailand -- you will need to check with the Thai Embassy in London as to the rules of bringing animals into countries, and I know that there are restrictions in many countries.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with solving this problem.

Best wishes,
Nina