Humid hides for older tortoises

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Tarajane77

Humid hides for older tortoises

Post by Tarajane77 » 06 Aug 2020, 18:23

I've seen alot of younger Horsfields with humid hides but I'm wondering about my Jemima.. :roll: :lol:

She is 3 years old, bathed every 3 days and is in a table with an all in one Solar glow light. :oops:

Her temp/humidity monitor is always comfortable verging sometimes on wet at about 65%.

She does shed more around her chin but her legs sometimes look quite dry to me.

I've recently put her a large terracotta plantpot opposite her lamp. This would be where I'm proposing to add some sphagnum moss.

Therefore would you recommend one for her and if so could you help me with the amount needed and wetness required of moss.

THANKYOU
Jody from Wirksworth
Jody K

Nina

Re: Humid hides for older tortoises

Post by Nina » 06 Aug 2020, 21:54

Hi Jodie,

I'm afraid I'm not an authority on humid hides,so I'm hoping that someone who knows more than I do will come in here with some advice.

Horsfields in particular like a fairly dry environment, but the right Relative Humidity in the substrate (45% - 55%) is good for them. The one thing that is important with Horsfields is that they can take warm and damp quite well, but they don't tolerate cold and damp at all, and can develop respiratory problems, so you do need to be careful in that respect.

Sphagnum moss will hold the moisture well, so that should be fine. Some people just attach a damp sponge to the top of the humid hide (usually a plastic box or something like that), but I think that sphagnum moss in your plant pot should be fine.

I'm not sure that a humid hide is essential, but why not try it and see. If the tortoise doesn't feel the need for a humid hide she will just ignore it.

Nina

Tarajane77

Post by Tarajane77 » 06 Aug 2020, 23:08

Thankyou Nina once again. I dont think i will bother if this isnt essential.
Jody K

Nina

Post by Nina » 07 Aug 2020, 09:20

I don't think it is essential, and if you have a water bowl in there, and give the substrate a light spray every day or two that should help. But why not try it and see if Jemima likes it? LOL, and do report back if she does!

Nina