Increase in activity

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Flora

Increase in activity

Post by Flora » 01 Jun 2020, 13:42

Hi everyone!

I have had my horsefield tortoise since last December (shes about 2yrs old) and shes been getting on well. But in the last couple of weeks shes become really active - going in her pool everyday, out basking more, actively knocking things around and snoozing out in the open.

I made a list of all the foods she can have off of your plant database and we have been slowly introducing those. With the hot weather her temperature has only been going down to about 20°C. Is it to do with these? Or are they more active in our summer despite the UV that they have?

Thank you in advance :)

Nina

Re: Increase in activity

Post by Nina » 01 Jun 2020, 15:15

Hi Flora -- great to hear from you again, and also to hear that your little Horsfield is doing well. She sounds absolutely fine to me, and I'm sure her extra activity is due to the nice warm temperatures and bright sunlight that we've had for the last couple of weeks. Bright light and temperature have a huge effect on how active tortoises are. Because they are reptiles and don't generate their own body heat, they are completely dependent on outside temperature to regulate their body temperature, and if it's really cold they hardly move at all.

Even if she is indoors (and it would be great if she could be outdoors when the weather is like this), if there is a window in the room then it's almost certain to be brighter in her table. So I think she is just being a happy and healthy little tortoise -- and long may our good weather last!

Nina

Flora

Re: Increase in activity

Post by Flora » 03 Jun 2020, 19:38

Thank you Nina! Thats really reassuring, its nice to see her more active :)