Possible Eye Infection - 2yr old marginated

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Marco

Possible Eye Infection - 2yr old marginated

Post by Marco » 04 Apr 2020, 15:37

Hi all,

Hope you're all safe and sound!

I'm a new member to the forum, but use it and the site for tips and advice and have done since I got my hatchling Donatella 2 years ago.

We've recently noticed that her eyes have been swollen in the morning, her right one more than her left and appear gunky and glazed. When we bathe her and try and remove any gunk nothing comes off and we aren't sure whether this is an eye infection or what it could be?

I have attached photos for you to see, and I've put some info about what we use in her table top below in case we're doing anything wrong.

We use tortoise edible bedding from komodoproducts.com for her bedding and 'tortoise life substrate' from prorep which is specifically for mediterranean torts.

If anyone could give any advice that would be great, thanks so much.

Marco x
Attachments
Oi1LG55c.jpg
yQuoVMkQ.jpg
ZweGrd1d.jpg

Nina

Re: Possible Eye Infection - 2yr old marginated

Post by Nina » 04 Apr 2020, 19:13

Hi Marco and welcome to The Tortoise Table! Donatella is a lovely Marginated and it looks like you are providing her iwth a good home.

I've consulted with my colleague Lin over this and we really are stumped. We aren't vets, so we would never attempt a detailed medical diagnosis, but usually with eye infections, or if a particle of something gets into the eye, then the eye is swollen shut and is very difficult to open. Donatella's eyes seem open (and I can't see any gunk), but there is definitely a very swollen area all around the eye. Do you give the Tortoise Life substrate a good spray with water every couple of days to keep it from getting dusty (although I don't think that is the problem here)?

Does the swelling go down as the day goes on? If that is the case then I wonder if it could be something in the bedding that she is allergic to (although I think that is most unlikely). We think that you really need to see a good reptile vet. Do you already have one? It's important to see a reptile vet (also called 'exotics' vet, and meaning they have an interest in things other than mammals -- so birds, reptiles, etc.), because vets without expertise with reptiles/tortoises will often prescribe the wrong treatment. For example, with eye problems many non-reptile vet will diagnose a vitamin A deficiency and prescribe vitamin A injections. Vitamin A deficiencies are very rare in tortoises, and in fact an injection can be dangerous for them.

Are you in the UK? We have a list of recommended vets on our website here:https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... ojNGnJ7m9s If you can't find one listed that is near you, let us know roughly where yo live and we'll see if we can find someone. And if you do find a practice make sure you tell them that it's a tortoise and you want to see the 'exotics' vet (sometime vets leave practices so it's always good to make sure they still have one). With the current virus restrictions, you might not be able to see a vet, but you could email them your photos and they might be able to diagnose the problem and speak to you on the phone.

Please don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any more questions and do let us know how you get on.

Nina

Marco

Post by Marco » 05 Apr 2020, 17:50

Hey Nina - thanks for your warm welcome! We do give the substrate a spray every so often, but I will probably do this more often as I'm doing it more weekly than every few days.

The swelling comes and goes but definitely looks worse when she has just woken up, so it might be worth also potentially changing her bedding to see if that could be causing any irritation.

Donatella doesn't have a vet at present, but one of my aunts has a lizard and has recommended me an exotic vets near us in Manchester, UK - if I can't contact anyone there I will definitely use that list, and try and email someone if we can't take her because of restrictions. Thanks for your help with this, I really appreciate it and shall keep you updated!

Thanks again!

lin

Post by lin » 05 Apr 2020, 18:30

Hi Marco.
Just a thought to go along with what Nina has said. I wonder if you could forward these photos to the vet your aunt has asking if they could guide you as to what it could be.
They do seem to be very accommodating while this lockdown is going on.

Lin