Tortoises awake in the fridge HELP!!

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Dandelion_burglar

Tortoises awake in the fridge HELP!!

Post by Dandelion_burglar » 09 Jan 2020, 20:44

Hello

Our Hermann's torts have been hibernating in a fridge since 20th December. Fridge temp has been between 5 and 6 degrees and this has been checked daily and the door opened to let air in. I have checked the torts weekly and until today they have all had their eyes closed and they have moved their hind legs when poked. Today I found two of them awake in the fridge, the other three were asleep. I am now very concerned and wondering if we should get them up. I have a cleaner that came to the house today and I asked her not to touch the fridge, but I am worried she didn't understand and she may have disturbed them. :(

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :D

Nina

Re: Tortoises awake in the fridge HELP!!

Post by Nina » 09 Jan 2020, 22:19

Oh my -- that is a bit scary, isn't it! I wouldn't worry though, as this does happen sometimes. I've had mine awake two or three weeks after being in the fridge, but haven't had them wake up later on, but I think it can happen. I know that if tortoises are hibernating in the ground outdoors, and it gets a lot colder, then they dig deeper down, so they aren't in a deep sleep at all, but are sensitive to the environment around them. I doubt that your cleaner woke them up, as just opening and closing the fridge, or jostling it a bit, shouldn't wake them up. If they haven't had a wee then I would leave them for another four or five days at least before examining them, and give them a chance to go back to sleep. With temperatures of 5C or 6C even if they did wake up a bit today, it isn't warm enough for them to wake up properly and they should go right back to sleep again. So I would give it until early next week and have another look, and I'll bet their eyes will be closed and they will be asleep again. If they are still awake then let us know and we can reassess, as you might have to get them up.

Nina