Long term travelling with my Hermann

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
JasmineM

Long term travelling with my Hermann

Post by JasmineM » 01 Mar 2019, 12:38

Hello All;

Just looking for abit of advise if possible?

My partner and I are currently in the process of converting a van to travel around Europe in (No set time scale) and we have always known we want our 6 year old Hermann, Mufasa with us. We have a purpose built tank being created and secured for her.

When enquiring about pet passports and information, including several costly vet appointment we are not getting very far and a lot of the time we are being told this is not possible............Surely this cant be the case?

Any information or a point in he right direction would be so helpful.

Thanks in advanced :)

Jasmine
Cornwall, UK
Last edited by JasmineM on 01 Mar 2019, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Nina

Re: Long term travelling with my Hermann

Post by Nina » 01 Mar 2019, 12:55

Hi Jasmine,

Hmm, this is a difficult question, and as it seems you are planning to travel after Brexit (if that ever happens), it might get more complicated. I found this on the European Union site:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm
and while reptiles aren't mentioned, it seems that the rules might change from country to country, and that the animal you take might have to be microchipped (is Mufusa microchipped)? I wonder if it would be worth contacting them directly (there are links for contacting them further down the page).

Hopefully someone else will have more information, but I hope this helps. Your plans for European travel with Mufasa sound really exciting, and I hope it is not to difficult to do.

Nina

JasmineM

Post by JasmineM » 01 Mar 2019, 16:13

Thanks so much Nina, Ill have a look in to this properly tonight.

From what I have found out so far, she would need to be micro chipped as she isn't just yet, and then like you said it sounds like we have to contact each country directly before entry but as we aren't planners this is going to be a pain and I do not want the risk of her being taken as she is so precious to us.

Hopefully there is a nice simply option that will come out after Brexit..............Said no one ever :P

Thank you again :)

sandraingram

Post by sandraingram » 23 Nov 2021, 21:50

You can go with a German to Neuschwanstein Castle, it's lovely, and you will love it. In addition, if you know a little bit of history, you will be doubly interested. The history of Neuschwanstein goes back to the 1830s. At that time, King Maximilian II built a cozy residential castle Hohenschwangau from the ruins of an old castle, which he wanted to use as a summer residence for himself and his family. I recently came across an interesting article on the website https://www.montaregio.de/de/freizeit/f ... lgaeu.html that. The royal family even spent most of the year in the castle because they liked the beautiful landscape of the Algoy.