Steepness of ramp?

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Stevievee

Steepness of ramp?

Post by Stevievee » 07 Jan 2024, 18:51

Just making a start on my tortoise table. I'm going to wait until Spring to buy a little Horsfield, so I'm not panicking about finding weeds and food!!
My question is, how steep can my ramp be? The one I have built isn't very steep, but takes up a lot of room. If possible I'd like to shorten it, but this would make it steeper, obviously! Pic attached

[attachment=0]PXL_20231209_152005063~2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
PXL_20231209_152005063~2.jpg

Nina

Re: Steepness of ramp?

Post by Nina » 07 Jan 2024, 21:35

That is going to be a superb table, Steve!

It's hard to tell the steepness of the ramp from your photo, but they can take it fairly step, as long as what they are walking on has traction so that they don't slip. Those little bars that you've put across the ramp will help a lot. I have roofing felt (that gritty sandy stuff that they put on shed roofs), and that combined with the little bars would make it even safer, but it might not be necessary. It's just really difficult to say how steep an angle they will take. Tortoises are amazing climbers though, and as long as they can grip they can climb a very steep angle. Have attached a photo of Horsfield (who are demon climbers), climbing up a fence.

It's a good idea to tempt them up the ramp on their first go by tempting them with a food they love (holding it just in front of their nose and gradually leading them up the ramp. I find that once mine went up there, and because I tend to feed them in the area at the top of the ramp (and it means they don't drag substrate into their food), that they go up there all the time after that -- but they do love climbing anyway, so yours probably won't need to be bribed to go up there the first time. I also find it useful that my ramp is removable -- makes cleaning easier.

I think you're building a brilliant enclosure -- what dimensions is it?

Nina
Attachments
Tortoise climbing fence.jpg

Stevievee

Post by Stevievee » 08 Jan 2024, 09:32

Hi Nina. Thanks for, as always, your detailed reply. The table is 2ft by 4ft... Not ideal I know, but it's all I have room for.
I think the tort could take the ramp a little steeper from what you've said. I made the upstairs for a feeding area as you suggested before... A tidy home is a happy home and all that!!!

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Jan 2024, 09:43

Hi Steve,
2' x 4' will be absolutely fine for a young tortoise (my Doris was in a 2' x 4' wire frame guinea pig cage for four or five years to begin with0, and if it's a Horsfield or Hermann's it should last for quite a while (lol, dont' get a Testudo graeca, Leopard or Sulcata tortoise as they grow much bigger).. At some point it will be too small, but if the tortoise is out in your outdoor enclosure for a lot of the summer then that would extend the time it's useful.

I know that space is a problem for a lot of us, and some people have found that they can add an extension to their tables, in a sort of 'L' shape, so that the table fits neatly into a corner of a room and doesnt stick out into it. But that's a long way off, and it's great seeing your work in progress. Presumably if your tortoise finds the ramp too steep then you can just put back the longer, original one if necessary.

Cheers,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 08 Jan 2024, 10:50

Hi Steve,
I must agree with Nina that your enclosure looks amazing and as she has given you the answers to your questions I won’t do the same. What I will ask though is that you don’t buy a tortoise because there are so many that needs rehoming. We get them on our Facebook page almost daily and one needing a home is so much more rewarding than lining the pockets of pet or reptile shops.
I suggest if you haven’t already, then start reading info from this site and Tortoise Trust, asking questions and a read of this Hermanns caresheet (apparently those are one of the better, hardiest tortoises to keep as pets. It’s just to give you the basics, but you probably already know that.
The enclosure looks great by the way.
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf
Regards

Lin

Stevievee

Post by Stevievee » 08 Jan 2024, 11:09

Hi, I would happily re-home a tortoise. I've been looking on here, but there seems to bit limited supply up north in West Yorkshire (must be the weather, ha). My only concern about a Hermann is, if I'm correct, they grow a little bigger than Horsfield and I was worried my table may be a little small?

Stevievee

Post by Stevievee » 08 Jan 2024, 11:19

I'm also one of the few people not on Facebook! :shock:

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Jan 2024, 13:08

Hi Steve,

I agree with Lin that rehoming is far better than buying, because most tortoises in pet shops are captive bred abroad and imported into the UK, which is stressful for them. Welcome to the club -- I don't do Facebook either (I do have a page but never look at it). You can still look at the tortoises we have up for rehoming on our Facebook page here though https://www.facebook.com/TheTortoiseTable . And Lin can note down that you're interested a Horsfield.

I would highly recommend Hosfields as being as easy to keep as Hermann's tortoises, and they have more personality (but then I'm biased because I keep Horsfields. They are great hibernators and the only thing you need to be careful about is they love to dig tunnels and can dig down, under the wall and out of an enclosure easily, so you need to bury the walls down into the ground to prevent that (Hermann's can dig too, but Horsfields are better at it).

We'll keep an eye out for Horsfield up in your area. How far could you travel to collect a tortoise?

Nina

Stevievee

Post by Stevievee » 08 Jan 2024, 13:50

I'd say 30 miles, so a 60 mile round trip wouldn't be too bad.

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Jan 2024, 20:01

OK, thanks, and we'll note that and let you know if a suitable tortoise becomes available.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 08 Jan 2024, 23:26

Hi Steve.
Just to let you know that I don’t think you can see Facebook pages unless you have one yourself. We do also advertise them on the forum rehoming page so keep watching that.
I must say that I am unlike Nina I not biased with tortoises - :lol: they are all lovely to me, especially the Hermann and Horsfield. However apparently the Horsfields don’t like wet and cold the Hermanni are a little hardier regarding the cold for short periods

Lin

Noned1987

Post by Noned1987 » 26 Mar 2024, 13:10

For a Horsfield, you ideally want a ramp that's no steeper than a 4:1 incline (for every 4 units of horizontal length, there should be no more than 1 unit of vertical height).

Stevievee

Post by Stevievee » 27 Mar 2024, 18:21

I actually decided against the ramp as I felt I lost too much space underneath. I may try to adapt it to 4 legs, rather than an enclosed space underneath.

Thank you for all the advice though, very much appreciated.