Safe logs / bits of wood

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Ka387

Safe logs / bits of wood

Post by Ka387 » 20 Dec 2023, 15:16

Hi, I'm wanting to give my niece some items for Christmas for her young spur thighed tortoises. Reading up on the subject, I'm getting a bit confused. I've bought a couple of exo terra artificial plants, and a cave, but was thinking of looking in the garden for some extras, like a log, or a larger piece of curved bark as a hide. I have a range of wood types, but am not sure what would be safe for them. Would they be inclined to nibble at anything put in their enclosure, or is something like a log relatively unlikely to be chewed at?
Also, is sphagnum moss for in e.g. a humid cave something that is required? I have found conflicting advice on whether having this additional humidity is good for them or not.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks! :)

Nina

Re: Safe logs / bits of wood

Post by Nina » 21 Dec 2023, 10:29

Hi, and sorry to be so late in replying to your question.

You’ve got some great ideas for.presents, and a log or piece of wood from your garden is a great idea. Tortoises like nothing better than to clamber over rocks and logs, and they help to enrich the environment for them. It’s very unlikely that a tortoise would nibble on a log, but just in case make sure that it’s not from a tree or shrub that you know is poisonous. If you’re not sure whether the tree or shrub is toxic, just ask us.

Sphagnum moss is the correct moss to use for a humid hide. I’ve never had one for my tortoises, but lots of people do use them, especially for very young tortoises as they can dry out easily under the lights indoors.

I hope you, your niece and her tortoise have a super Christmas!

Nina

Ka387

Re: Safe logs / bits of wood

Post by Ka387 » 21 Dec 2023, 22:14

Thank you Nina, I'll see what I can find!
Have a great Christmas!