Outside enclosure

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Jennie

Outside enclosure

Post by Jennie » 29 Aug 2023, 11:44

Here are some pics of the outside space I have put together for Marigold.
Its under a large conifer tree which shelters her, I put 2 grades of pebbles in which she loves to burrow into and there is garden soil behind.
The net is from a badminton net I secured over a frame to keep the cat off!
Attachments
20230827_121724.jpg
20230827_121706.jpg
20230827_121901.jpg

Nina

Re: Outside enclosure

Post by Nina » 29 Aug 2023, 15:14

That looks lovely, Jennie! Lots of interest for her there, places to sunbathe and places to shelter. You might consider having a larger area of just soil and smaller area of the gravel, as they are used to living on a sandy soil-type substrate, but if she is happy with what you have done then that's fine.

I don't think you'll have this problem with Marigold because her species aren't huge climbers, but I used log roll for part of my enclosure and I had to turn it round, so that the side with the horizontal wires running along it was on the outside, because I have Horsfields and they are demon climbers and one of mine used the two rows of wires on the inside as a step ladder (how she managed to grasp it with her little claws I don't know), and I have a video of her climbing up, over and out. I definitely wouldn't put anything next to the wall of the enclosure that she might be able to use to get out though (rock, plant, etc.).
To give you an idea of what good climbers Horsfields are, here is a photo of one climbing a chain link fence.

Nina
[attachment=0]Tortoise climbing fence.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Tortoise climbing fence.jpg

Jennie

Post by Jennie » 30 Aug 2023, 11:23

I think I'd have a heart attack if I saw Marigold climbing like that! Thankfully so far she doesnt seem to want to climb anything, I have a log roll in her table and she hasnt shown signs of climbing it, she prefers to bulldoze her way through things!

There's a fair bit of soil behind the pebbles and some play sand too but she prefers the pebbles and the larger ones to bury in. It has all mixed in with sandy dirt as she's buried and dug about.
Attachments
20230527_151415.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 30 Aug 2023, 17:44

Absolutely love that photo, and it's great that she has different textures to walk on and dig in, in her enclosure.

Nina