Caring for a tortoise when on holiday

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
jules

Caring for a tortoise when on holiday

Post by jules » 19 Jun 2022, 15:35

Hi there
I am so new to the tortoise world that I don't even have a tortoise yet! I'm in early research stages and my question is this. Given that I know I'm away for a week in August twice, I am putting off getting a tortoise until I'm back. What is the best way of looking after a tortoise when you are away if it is housed indoors? Does someone come and feed it etc or can it be taken to someone else home? Am I overthinking that part? September seems very far away and my daughter is keen to get her sooner than September!
Thanks, Jules

Nina

Re: Caring for a tortoise when on holiday

Post by Nina » 19 Jun 2022, 16:55

Hi Jules, and welcome to The Tortoise Table! Well done for doing your research before you get your tortoise (so many people don't and then they end up with big problems).

Regarding going away, If possible, the easiest thing is to ask a neighbour to come in and feed your tortoise once a day, and you can have your lights on a timer so that they automatically go on and off at set times. If you pick a good sized bag of appropriate weeds and flowers in advance, you can keep them in a sealed bag in the fridge (a damp paper towel will help to keep them fresh for about 5 days), or you can make five little individual bags for the five days you are away. You could take the tortoise to someone else's home, but it would mean transporting your enclosure, lights etc. Temperature is really important for tortoises, and they need a temperature of about 30C at the warm end of their table and about 20C at the cool end, and need an average temperature of around 26C to properly digest their food, so you will need to have a light and heat bulb whatever you decide to do, as well as a source of UVB (which can be part of your light and heat bulb, or it can be separate).

Do you know what species you are getting, and if it will be a young tortoise or an older one that you rehome? If so then we could send you a care sheet for that species -- just let us know. We usually have tortoises that need a new home, advertised on this forum and on our Facebook page, and no money changes hands, so you would not be charged.

If you want a baby tortoise then I would strongly advise getting one from a breeder, rather than a pet shop. Breeders usually charge less than pet shops, but more importantly buying from a breeder means that your tortoise won't have had the stress of being transported long distances, and you might even get to meet its parents. We can point you in the direction of lists of good breeders if you're interested.

The most important point regarding husbandry (aside from the right lights/heat/UVB source) is that you get an open topped 'tortoise table' rather than an enclosed glass and wood vivarium. Pet shops usually try to sell you a vivarium, and while they are good for snakes and lizards they are dangerous environments for tortoises, so please don't be persuaded to buy one.

Most tortoises people keep nowadays are Hermann's, Horsfields, or Spur Thighs, and the care for them is very similar, with only a few differences, so if you'd like to see a care sheet for one of those species, just to see what the general requirements are, let me know and I'll send you one.

Please come back with any questions, and it would be great if you could post photos of your tortoise when you get him!

Nina

jules

Post by jules » 24 Jun 2022, 10:52

Hey Nina thanks for your reply
I’d like to get a hermann baby tortoise and am very open to knowing breeders if you know any. I’m in brighton. There’s a very knowledgable lady I met in Horsham birds of prey centre. She does work in the pet centre but she seems very switched on to great tortoise care. They have baby hermanns in every few months. Does this sound okay?
My daughter has drawn the tortoise table and I at get my dIY man to build us one!
We already feel our tortoise is with us, just really unsure when to get her. I want to be fully prepared to welcome her in!
Any care sheets are of course welcome!!
Jules

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Jun 2022, 10:19

Hi Jules,

Regarding breeders, here's a list of UK breeders, and there is a Hermann's breeder listed in Brighton:
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... section=44
I don't know them personally, but it is always better to buy from a breeder, as almost all tortoises sold in pet shops in the UK (there are some exceptions) are imported from breeding farms abroad and the stress of travel can cause flare-ups of parasites, and it generally isn't good for them. I don't know anything about the Birds of Prey centre, and it might be fine, but I would definitely ask where the tortoises come from. I do think that buying direct from a breeder often means you get good after-sales advice, as they want their babies to find good homes and have a healthy life.

Here is a link to a care sheet for Hermann's tortoises: https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf and here is a link to an excellent Hermann's site. Chris Leone is probably the world authority on Hermann's, and there is information here about sub-species, care, etc. He is based in the USA, and the care advice differs a little from what we practice in the UK, but it's only in tiny areas and is generally very authoritative:
https://www.hermannihaven.com/

That is great that you are designing your own table. If I could make a few suggestions -- first of all make it as big as space will allow. Tortoises need quite a lot of space, and although a smaller table -- say 4' x 2' is fine for babies and maybe some juveniles, the tortoise will need more space as it grows, so if you get a big one to start with then you won't need to upsize later.

Secondly, regarding your light fixtures -- it is really advisable to have a set-up where you can raise and lower the bulb that provides heat and light, in order to increase or decrease the temperature in the table. I have mine hanging from an overhead arm, but it is on a chain and I can raise and lower the chain as necessary. Temperature is absolutely crucial to tortoises, and the temperature in the table will vary depending on the temperature in the room, so on hot days you need to raise the lamp, and on cold days lower it.

Thirdly, if you're designing a table, I would definitely consider having a second level in it. It's a good use of space and tortoises love running up and down the ramp to the second level to see if there are any treats up there for them. I've attached a photo of my table to give you an idea. If you're short of space, you can even have an 'L'-shaped table going round a corner. The space under the second level functions as a sleeping area, but I wouldn't make the second level very big (just big enough for the tortoise to go up there and find some food) as it will be dark under that level and therefore the space is a bit wasted if the tortoise doesn't use it much (I made mine a bit too big and would reduce the size if I were doing it again), and also tortoises like a small snug space to sleep in, rather than a large area.

Finally, tortoises really benefit from being in a secure area outdoors as much as possible, as the UVB from the sun is of a far higher quality than anything we can provide artificially indoors, so do consider that in due course.

Hope this helps, and do come back with any more questions -- and best of luck in finding a really lovely tortoise to welcome into your home.
[attachment=0]m_IMG_9496.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]m_IMG_9411.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
m_IMG_9496.jpg
m_IMG_9411.jpg