Arcadia basking lamps blowing

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Bec

Arcadia basking lamps blowing

Post by Bec » 05 Jul 2021, 09:08

Hi all,

Our Arcadia basking lamp bulbs seem to go every couple of months. Is that normal?

It’s on a timer so on for 12 hours a day. Maybe that’s why?!

Any thoughts?

Warm wishes, Bec

Nina

Re: Arcadia basking lamps blowing

Post by Nina » 05 Jul 2021, 09:32

Hi Bec,

I'm afraid I don't know about the Arcadia lamps blowing, but I have had two lamps blow within a couple of months that weren't Arcadia (they were a cheaper brand). Are your Arcadia bulbs mercury vapour (combined heat/light/UVB) bulbs? I do know that those bulbs must be hanging straight down and not at an angle, as hanging on an angle increases the chance of them blowing. You might think of either contacting the place where you bought the lamps or contacting Arcadia direct https://www.arcadiareptile.com/ and explain the problem, and you might get a replacement bulb. I'm pretty sure that Mega-Ray are good at providing free replacements but don't know if any other manufacturers do.

Lin might know more about this, and hopefully she will come on later.

Nina

Bec

Post by Bec » 05 Jul 2021, 10:15

Thanks Nina... not sure if it’s Mercury but it does say it’s uva as well as heat. And it is at an angle so we can try changing that and putting straight.
Tort currently outside enjoying real sunshine though so not too worried.
Thankyou. ;)

Nina

Post by Nina » 05 Jul 2021, 11:25

Hi Bec,

UVA is different, and I don't think that is a problem with blowing, but I'm not sure. Do you have a source of UVB for your tortoise (if not a heat/light/UVB bulb, then maybe a fluorescent tube)? Of course being out in the sunshine is the best way to get UVB, but the quality of UVB in the UK is not great, because we are so far north, the angle of the sun, and the fact that most tortoises are indoors a lot because of the weather -- so a good source of indoor UVB is essential.
Regarding the Arcadia bulb, why not contact them, tell them which bulb you have, and ask if it is OK to have it at an angle?
Good luck!

Nina

Bec

Post by Bec » 05 Jul 2021, 12:44

Thanks yes... just realised it can’t be a Mercury one but yes do have a working uvb tube in the indoor enclosure. Will contact Arcadia.
Thankyou! :)

terrarium

Post by terrarium » 02 Mar 2022, 10:39

Thanks for that.