Plants for outdoor enclosure

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Quasi

Plants for outdoor enclosure

Post by Quasi » 16 May 2021, 08:53

Please could I have some advice regarding planting tortoise safe plants for my Mediterranean Spur thighed tortoise.

I have bought some plants, namely Carex, Fescue Grass, Hebe, Thyme and Lavender from the garden centre. (I already have a seedling tray of weeds and wild flowers etc in the enclosure grown from seed which I replenish as required).
I am concerned that the shop bought plants may have traces of fertilisers/ insecticide etc which may not be good for my tortoise. I was planning on planting them directly into the soil to keep it as natural as possible and even if kept in pots he could still nibble the leaves.

Do you have any advice as to what I should do to ensure the plants are as free as possible from fertilisers?

Many thanks,
Quasi

PS I find the advice on this is site so helpful and friendly.It's great!

lin

Re: Plants for outdoor enclosure

Post by lin » 16 May 2021, 11:49

Aww, thanks Quasi, that’s nice if you to say that about us and the website.

The only thing I can say about planting them in the enclosure is perhaps removing the soil they are planted in now, rinse the roots off and planting them out where you want them but put collars around them, upturned hanging basket or log roll, for a couple of weeks to prevent him nibbling the leaves for a while.
Doing it that way, in time the leaves should have taken some time to grow over or through enough to reach. The barriers can them be left in place or removed depending on your choice.
Hope that’s helpful.

Lin

Quasi

Re: Plants for outdoor enclosure

Post by Quasi » 16 May 2021, 12:50

Hello Lin,
Thanks for your really quick and helpful reply! It’s much appreciated.

Quasi