Basking spot wattage question

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
fraze1974

Basking spot wattage question

Post by fraze1974 » 09 May 2021, 14:22

Hi,
I’m setting up our first enclosure for a Mediterranean hatchling and have installed UVB strip lights above 3/4s of the tortoise table. I’ve also installed a Arcadia Halogen Basking Spot 100w PAR38. I’ve mounted the spot at 30”/75cm above the substrate and the temps at the substrate level at the centre of the spot beam are reading 45C after 1/2 hr, measured with both a infrared meter and a probe. Room temp is around 21/22C, house is a new build so it isn't draughty. Temp under the spot is way too high and will be higher when measured at the tortoise shell height. Wondered what my next option should be, as I can’t raise the 100w any higher. Swap the 100w spot for a 50w or 75w. What heights do spots usually get installed at? My other options would be to install a thermostat or I do have a spare light dimmer I can wire in, though I'd need to lock off the dial to stop it from accidently being adjusted.

For info, the table is 190cm x 75cm its near a northerly facing window, so no direct sunlight.

Hatchling should be with us in a few weeks time so I need to sort this last piece of the puzzle.

Any help or advice greatly received as this all new to us.

lin

Re: Basking spot wattage question

Post by lin » 09 May 2021, 16:28

Hiya, and thanks for contacting us.
To get the correct temperature in the basking spot you can raise the bulb higher until the desired 30*C is levelled out, but, as you say that cannot be done and if the house is constantly warm then maybe you don’t need one with such a high temp but try, as you say, a 60w that can be lowered to make it hotter if it’s to cool.
The 100w might be suitable during the winter.
So, all in all, well done for answering your own question.
Lin

fraze1974

Post by fraze1974 » 11 May 2021, 15:08

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make I'd not missed a trick or slipped up somewhere along the way. I'm guessing a spot rather than a flood bulb is the preferred type?

CritterMama

Post by CritterMama » 11 May 2021, 15:30

Hello fraze1974! I too am setting up an enclosure for a new Mediterranean hatchling arriving next month - I feel in good company! Building upon your question, I'm wondering about the placement of the Basking Light in relation to the UVB and plant lights. We took great care to set up our chameleon's basking spot and UVB (position, temperature, humidity, UVI - all that) but he chooses to bask in the *brightest* spot which is under the plant light where he doesn't get as much heat as he could (and gets too much UVB)! :roll: We're rearranging things now so the basking spot is also the brightest spot and has the appropriate UVB.

Using my lizard brain logic :) I'm thinking I should make the tortoise's basking spot be the brightest spot also. So, I'd mount the basking light on one short end, a plant light mounted and shining in the same area (to make it bright), and have the UVB (fluorescent tube type) set up parallel to the long edge (i.e. "sticking out" into the enclosure from the short end). This way, if he needs to get out out of the heat, he'll still get UVB, and if he thinks like a chameleon and chooses to bask in the brightest spot, it will also be the warmest spot. :!:

Thoughts? :?:
Critter Mama

One Husband, one Bearded Dragon, one Panther Chameleon, one Labrador Retriever, and now a baby Hermann's Tortoise!

Nina

Post by Nina » 12 May 2021, 20:43

I think I understand what you're describing, and it sounds very sensible to me. They do like the brightest spot to bask in, but they also need a range of temperatures so they can wander in and out of warmer and cooler spaces to thermoregulate. It would be lovely to see a photo of your set-up -- I think it's going to be excellent!

Nina

fraze1974

Post by fraze1974 » 17 May 2021, 18:03

Swapped the 100w for a 50w and I can now manage the temps by changing the bulb height. Happy days.

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 May 2021, 18:44

Excellent news! Do save that 100W bulb though, as you might need it in the winter when the ambient temperature in room is colder.

Nina