Light bulbs

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Flash the tortoise

Light bulbs

Post by Flash the tortoise » 02 Apr 2021, 23:42

Hi

I seem to be spending a mini fortune on arcadia floodlight bulbs. They last from 1 day to a few weeks only.

What floodlights do you use, please?
TIA

Nina

Re: Light bulbs

Post by Nina » 03 Apr 2021, 10:34

This shouldn't be happening. A bulb should last for a year or two, and I'm wondering if something in your fitting is causing it to blow. Is the fitting a ceramic one or a plastic one, and what wattage are your bulbs? If I remember from before you had a 100W bulb (lol, you need that in the Outer Hebrides), and for that you definitely need a ceramic fitting. Is it an ordinary floodlight or is it a mercury vapour combined heat/light/uvb bulb? If it's a UVB bulb then they must be hung vertically (and not at an angle, because they do tend to blow if they're at an angle). If bulbs are failing within a week or two you ought to be able to get a refund.
Here is the Arcadia website https://www.arcadiareptile.com/ I can't see a phone number but if you scroll down to the bottom there is a facility to email them, and I would certainly do that and explain what has been happening with their bulbs.

Nina