Indoor Table Substrate - Recommendations

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Allyce

Indoor Table Substrate - Recommendations

Post by Allyce » 01 Apr 2021, 09:21

Hi

Please can I urgently have some recommendations for indoor tortoise table substrate?

I have been using for the last few years Wickes' top soil, but recently we have been very unhappy with it. Lots of seeds sprouting which we have not had before, and in the last few weeks we've also had fungi growing in my tortoise's table!

She is a adult Hermann tortoise.
Please could you recommend safe top soil brands that I can mix with sand? If at all possible, could you recommend brands of or places to buy sand? I have been using Tortoise Sand from Pets at Home and mixing that with the top soil.

Thank you for your help.

Allyce

Nina

Re: Indoor Table Substrate - Recommendations

Post by Nina » 01 Apr 2021, 12:14

Hi Allyce,

I'm really surprised that Wicke's topsoil is growing plants and fungus -- it's usually good, and I thought it was sterilised (which would have killed any weeds seeds). I'm not sure there is one good brand. You can try Homebase or one of the others -- just makes sure it says that it is sterilised (and hopefully screened as well). Westlands is a good brand, and I think you can get it on Amazon (just google sterilised topsoil) and most garden centres. I have bought Westland compost before but never the topsoil though. For sand you can just use ordinary children's playsand, and that is available at garden centres and places like Homebase too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nina