Do I need to predator proof outdoor enclosure?

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
michellecc

Do I need to predator proof outdoor enclosure?

Post by michellecc » 08 Jun 2020, 15:03

[attachment=0]AB2CE5D6-EBE7-41A9-BCB0-52D64E51B2F3.jpeg[/attachment]So we’ve just finished Titus’ new outdoor bachelor pad! He’s been enjoying checking it out and I’m going to get some shade plants for him.

My question is do I need to put a wire cover over the enclosure? We bring him inside at about 6pm every evening so don’t need to worry about nocturnal predators. We don’t have dogs. We have a cat but they have lived together happily for years. I say happily, the tortoise sometimes chases the cat 😂. I really like the enclosure being open but wanted to check if people thought it was safe? Titus is 10 years old, about 20cm long and 1.5kg. You can just about see him at the back in the middle!
Attachments
AB2CE5D6-EBE7-41A9-BCB0-52D64E51B2F3.jpeg

Nina

Re: Do I need to predator proof outdoor enclosure?

Post by Nina » 08 Jun 2020, 18:39

Hi Michelle,

There will probably be different opinions on this, but I think you are probably OK. Aside from dogs (which you don't have), I think the main predators are rats, foxes and birds. Rats and foxes will most likely be active at night (although my colleague Lin had a problem with foxes in the daytime, so hopefully she will come in on this), so because you bring him in at 6 p.m. he should be fine. Birds like magpies, and birds of prey are a danger to small tortoises, but I think yours is too big to be in danger. I would say you're probably OK as you are, but let's see what others think.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 08 Jun 2020, 19:31

Oh yes Michelle. Nina has got it right but I can say that Rats, foxes and birds of prey are all active during the day. And rather than leave abything to chance I would cover. Even if it is with a loose net laying acrodd canes with plastic cups to stop then sliding down, with noisy things tied around to make a noise if disturbed it could prevent something happening.
Heres a photo of my foxy friend that ended up spending most of its day in or around my garden with the rest of its family.

Lin

[attachment=0]Fox in garden_linroberts.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
Fox in garden_linroberts.jpeg

michellecc

Post by michellecc » 08 Jun 2020, 21:32

Oh what a cheeky little fox 🦊! Thank you both so much for taking the time to advise me. Titus has been an indoor tortoise for a long time, so we are both finding our feet with this- he seems more confident than me 😊