Indoor enclosure

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
N0rman

Indoor enclosure

Post by N0rman » 13 Oct 2019, 14:08

Hi all,

I wanted to share Norman’s new indoor enclosure as I want to ensure all his needs are being met. I welcome any advice if there are improvements to be made.

He is a male Horsfield, approx 5years old.

The table is 3ft square with a few points of interest. A large water bowl and feeding dish.

I use a Mercury Vapour D3 basking lamp (100w), and I have 2 thermometers hanging at approx top of shell height. One in the warmer end and one in the cooler end.
The warm end is around 31 degrees and the cooler end 23degrees. The lamp is on a pole that can be moved up or down.

The substrate is a sand/soil mix (ready mixed tortoise terrain from pets at home). I know I can probably do this cheaper but I tend to buy it when it’s on offer.

Is there anything I’m missing with his enclosure?

Diet wise he is fed a mixture of home grown weeds and plants suitable for his breed and I also sprinkle Nutrobal to his feed which he’s quite happy to take no problems.

He also has a cuttlefish in his enclosure but doesn’t really touch it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or reassurance if I’m on the right lines.

Thanks in advance 😊
Laura
Attachments
1170C76D-B0B4-4A62-9B28-C495D811A941.jpeg

Nina

Re: Indoor enclosure

Post by Nina » 13 Oct 2019, 19:13

Hi Laura,

I must say that I read your post and saw your photos and breathed a big sigh of relief! It looks great, and you to have the right set-up, equipment, temperature, etc. I think Norman must be one happy tortoise!]
And I like the fact that there is lots of nice 'furniture' in there for him to walk around and over, as tortoises get bored if they can see from one end of their enclosure to the other without interruption.
You're really doing a great job, and do send more photos if you have them (we never tire of looking at photos of tortoises and their set-ups -- and Norman is a little star).

Cheers,
Nina

N0rman

Post by N0rman » 13 Oct 2019, 20:19

Thank you so much for your reply Nina 👍

I do worry about having the right set up and ensuring he has everything he needs to be happy. It’s so nice being able to share with experienced owners and having the reassurance that you are on the right track.

.....And I’ll be sure to post more pictures of Norman when I can!

Thanks again.
Laura

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Oct 2019, 08:41

You're doing a great job -- and keep sending those photos (the members of the Norman fan club are always eager to see them)!

Nina x