Hot weather shading

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Kirkie

Hot weather shading

Post by Kirkie » 15 Jul 2022, 10:00

Hi, first post here but I recognise some names from “ the old days”. I keep a variety of tortoises and turtles outdoors in the Uk and the upcoming weather forecast (38c lol) prompted me to share this. I’ve started using camouflage netting over my outdoor enclosures when its seriously hot. Its great because it presents dappled sunlight still whilst keeping the glaring sun off, like heavy vegetation in the wild.

Stuff like this, https://amzn.eu/d/3VFmvh8

If you’ve got an outdoor enclosure in full sun, might be useful. Its easy to fit and remove when it cools down .

Dave.

Nina

Re: Hot weather shading

Post by Nina » 15 Jul 2022, 11:13

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you -- gosh, it's been ages!

Thanks so much for the useful suggestion and the link re shading. It really is super important. So many people think that tortoises thrive in really hot weather, but they don't realise that in the wild, most species retreat to burrows in the ground during the hottest part of the day, only emerging to feed in the morning and early evening when it's a bit cooler. The temperatures predicted for the UK in the next week are dangerous for tortoises as well as humans.

I hope you and your torts and turts are doing well, and it's great to be in touch again.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 15 Jul 2022, 16:32

Oh wow, it has been a long time Dave, I’m so pleased you not only recognise us oldies but also included yourself in that comment
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously that is a brilliant idea. We used to do it to shade the fish pond stapled onto like a pergola frame, and it really did create a cool dappled area.

Would you mind my putting the link onto the Facebook page and I will say that you (as Kirkie) suggested it, if you like, I promise not to say it was from one of the older tortoise keepers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lin

Kirkie

Post by Kirkie » 15 Jul 2022, 22:10

Hi both,

Really like the website, great stuff.

All torts and turtles are well thanks Nina. Got a couple of new species this year including some Cuora Asian box turtles who are a lot of fun.

Lin, feel free to share the info, no need to mention me :)