What is wrong with my indian star tortoise?

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Kanda

What is wrong with my indian star tortoise?

Post by Kanda » 09 Aug 2019, 19:06

Is there anything wrong with her?

Her eyes look swollen and puffy when sleep. But in the morning her eyes look just fine. I want to attach picture but i cant find where is the menu to add images. Im using a phone to create this topic.

I have an indian star tortoise.
I always using uv a n uv b lamp for 12 hours every day. My enclosure is only using 60 x 30 x 40 cm cage for her with her friends.

Kanda

Re: What is wrong with my indian star tortoise?

Post by Kanda » 09 Aug 2019, 19:08

I try to attach the image.
Attachments
20190810_010728.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 09 Aug 2019, 19:38

Hi Kanda,

Many thanks for contacting us, and I'm sorry that your little Indian Star seems to be unwell. In the photo her eyes do seem to be a bit swollen, and it is interesting that in the daytime they seem fine. Sometimes the cause of swollen eyes is environmental, and sometimes it is more physical. So I am going to ask some questions, and I apologise if there seems to be a lot of them!

How long have you had her, and for how long have her eyes been swollen at night?
Can you tell me what her diet is -- just a rough idea of the sort of food that you feed her.
What sort of substrate is in the bottom of her enclosure?
What is the temperature directly under the light in her enclosure?
Does she have access to water at all times, and do you give her any extra calcium in her diet?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but sometimes it is just something simple and can be cured easily!

If you could send us a photo of her enclosure, that might help too.
Finally I'm not sure what country you live in, but is there a veterinary doctor that you could take her to if necessary?

Best wishes,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 09 Aug 2019, 20:36

Hi Kanda.
I have only just seen your message and Nina has given you very good advice that we can look into and will help is to help you and your adorable little tortoise but what I did notice is that you say her cage is 60 x 30 x 40 cm and she is in there with her friends.
It seems very small for one tortoise so the eye problen could be a sign of stress and after a night of resting then they feel better in the mornings. I wonder if I could ask you who her friends are.

Lin