Hey from Florida

This forum contains news items which might be of interest to tortoise keepers, and announcements about the website and forum matters, as well as providing a place where you can post announcements about upcoming events that are relevant to tortoise keepers.
Pete28

Hey from Florida

Post by Pete28 » 20 Apr 2019, 20:40

Welcome Pete.
Nice to have you here.
Any photos of tour tortoises or other 'reptiles' will be received with happy gratitude. :lol:

Lin

Hi everyone! Well my name is Pete and I'm from north central florida. I work as a park ranger so I'm outside all the time. I love all reptiles but snakes are my favorite. I have marginated tortoise and a sulcata. Ava and nova. I have more hobbies then I can shake a stick at but gardening and wild edible plants are by far my favorites. I look forward to contributing and meeting some people

Nina

Re: Hey from Florida

Post by Nina » 20 Apr 2019, 22:11

Hi Pete and welcome to The Tortoise Table!

What a great job you have! Is your work much affected by the hurricaines and other bad weather that Florida has had recently, or does that affect the southern part of the state more? Do you ever see Gopher tortoises?

I like snakes too, and we had a corn snake for many years. He died about two years ago at the age of 28 (we got him from a breeder when he was two years old), and the vet said that he was the oldest corn snake he had ever seen. In the end he had cataracts in both eyes, but he behaved perfectly normally and ate well. We did have one terrifying incident when he went for the mouse and bit himself by mistake and wouldn't let go. I panicked and phoned a friend and she said to put him under cold running water, which I did, and that did the trick, but he was coiled so tightly around himself that I thought he would never let go.

Anyway, it's lovely to hear about you and your tortoises, and if you want to post some photos of them in the other sections of the forum it would be really interesting to see them (we never get tired of looking at photos of tortoises). How big is your sulcata? Have posted one of my favorite Sulcata photos -- mother and baby.

When you are writing a post for the forum, don't forget to tick the box that says 'Notify me when a reply is posted' (it's in column of boxes uderneath the box you are writing in), and then you will be notified when someone responds to your post.

Nina
Attachments
Sali and baby_edited_LR (Copy).jpg

Pete28

Post by Pete28 » 07 Jun 2019, 15:28

Hi Nina. In my daily grind it appears that I forgot to show you some pictures of my girls lol. Ava is the marginated and nova is the sulcata. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
20180304_160440.jpg
20180304_160448.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 07 Jun 2019, 21:35

Hi Pete,

Great to hear from you and yes, I really loved seeing photo of Ava and Nova. Really beautiful healthy looking tortoises and so nice to see them in a natural setting! I can tell you one thing -- they are lucky to live in Florida. Here today it was raining hard and about 59F (so not nice tortoise weather at all, and my two girls (Doris and Dolly) had to stay indoors.

Have attached a photo of them taken a couple of years ago, frolicking in some Campanula in the garden.
[attachment=0]IMG_8935 (Copy).JPG[/attachment]
Nina
Attachments
IMG_8935 (Copy).JPG