ID please

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
MrsC

ID please

Post by MrsC » 17 Jul 2017, 13:25

These two plants have come up where I threw a mixed bag of seeds in spring, any ideas?
Many thanks
Tracey :)
[attachment=0]IMG_1276.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_1276.JPG

Nina

Re: ID please

Post by Nina » 17 Jul 2017, 19:48

Hi Tracey, and I'm sorry that it's taken so long for us to respond to your post!
It's hard to be completely sure, because those plants are stil quite young, but the on the left looks like a member of the Malvaceae family -- probably mallow or hollyhock, and should be fine (but just to be safe I would let it grow on a bit until it has flowers. The plant on the right looks like a young spurge, and that is a 'no feed'. It might not necessarily have been included in your bag of seeds, as it could have sprung up from a seed deposited by the wind or a bird or something. Here is our entry, and see if you think that this is what it is:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... W0GbumQyM8

Nina

MrsC

Re: ID please

Post by MrsC » 19 Jul 2017, 11:39

Thanks so much for your reply! It probably is euphorbia, we have it in the non tortoise garden, what a shame, there's loads of it! Typical...
I'll let the other mature some more, hopefully mallow.
Thanks again :)