Piece/pieces broken off beak

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Tina

Piece/pieces broken off beak

Post by Tina » 24 Jun 2020, 20:25

Good evening and i hope you are all well.

This evening i noticed on Jonny's mouth that he has some pieces missing on the side, i am sure it was not like this yesterday. I sat feeding him flowers and was near to him on the ground and that's how i noticed it. I am really worried what this could be or how it has happened. He has lots of calcium and has regular Nutrabol.

Is it something that i am doing wrong or should be giving him? He has a diet of weeds and plants found on your data base. It does not affect him eating. I will post a picture in the morning when the lighting is better.

Thank you

Tina xxx

lin

Re: Piece/pieces broken off beak

Post by lin » 24 Jun 2020, 20:45

Hi Tina.
Would you be able to send in a photo of the area you are talking about. I doubt it anything to worry about but if we have a look we could better advise.

Lin

Tina

Post by Tina » 25 Jun 2020, 05:58

Good morning Lin

Thanks so much for your reply.

Will do as soon as he is awake! Was a bit of a shock seeing it .

Love Tina xx

Tina

Post by Tina » 25 Jun 2020, 09:54

Hi Lin

Sorry Pics are a bit blurry, combo of him moving and my hands shaking! I think you can just see a piece missing? His beak is a bit overgrown i think? But i am hoping it will trim down its self or i will gently file with nail file.
He does eat the edibles we grow for him on the slate pieces we have on the boarders, could he have done this on that?

Thank you xx
Attachments
jonny beak 1.jpg
jonny beak 1.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
jonny beak 2.jpg
jonny beak 2.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
jonny beak 3.jpg
jonny beak 3.jpg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 10594 times

lin

Post by lin » 25 Jun 2020, 19:35

Hi Tina.
Nina and I have been looking at this part of the beak and canot really see where you are meaning. Is it the part I have circled in red and the crack where the arrow is?

Also can you send in another photo of the head, a birds eye view so that we can see the jawline from above and one shot from the other side.

Sorry to be taking so much time over this one.

Lin
[attachment=0]file-2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
file-2.jpg
file-2.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 10577 times

Tina

Post by Tina » 25 Jun 2020, 20:39

Hi LIn & Nina

Yes exactly where you have circled, sorry i didn't know how to do that lol! Don't be silly, i am so grateful to be able to come and ask you questions!
I will take more pics. Thank you xxx

lin

Post by lin » 25 Jun 2020, 21:06

Ah, if that is it I really dont think you have anything to worry about. Theres no swelling at all, is there?
I think its just where the beak needs a slight trim and brush up and he will be good as new. After that when he feeds he needs the stems and stalks of food as well as the leaves and flowers to help keep the beak in trim.
Its good you know you can always ask on here whenever you need.
Lin
x

Tina

Post by Tina » 25 Jun 2020, 21:39

Hello Lin

No there is no swelling at all. Oh that is a relief! He does get the stems and i don't just pick the young leaves, he gets some old tougher ones too. But i must confess i used to chop it up for him but this last two years he has had to do it himself, so maybe this has been the problem!. I will give his mouth a gentle file and see how he goes.

Thanks once again for your help xxxxxx

Nina

Post by Nina » 26 Jun 2020, 09:52

Do be careful with the file, as it looks like there might be a crack near where the piece came off, and also you don't want to stress him.

Nina

Tina

Post by Tina » 26 Jun 2020, 11:42

Hi Nina

Thank you and i hope you are keeping well my dear.

Oh i will definitely be careful and if he does seem stressed at all i will leave as its not a massive over hang. In fact in writing this i may leave and just keep an eye on it. Hopefully lots of chomping will do the trick.
Thank you both so much for your advice.

Tina xx

Nina

Post by Nina » 26 Jun 2020, 12:28

OMG, I just realised -- are you Tina of Tina Wade and Jonny fame? :D I didn't twig when I saw the name Tina on the thread that it might be you. But when I saw the 'hope you are keeping well, my dear', I thought that's a bit familiar from a stranger - now could it be someone that I already know --- and the only other Tina I know well is Tina Wade. :D :D

If it is you, I hope that you and your family and Jonny are all safe and well and that Jonny is enjoying the excessive sunshine we're having (even if we are a bit uncomfortable in it).

Nina xxxx

Tina

Post by Tina » 26 Jun 2020, 12:38

Lol i'm sorry for the familiar bit but yes it is me! Jonny is doing well and being a pickle as usual ha ha! Hope you are safe and well and your girls are enjoying all the fabulous weather we have had. Very strange time we are living at the mo but luckily that it means more time enjoying our torts.

Must catch up when all this is over!

Tina xxx

Tina

Post by Tina » 28 Jul 2020, 19:46

Hi Ladies

Just to let you know i have Jonny booked in with vet to trim it down professionally. I'm sure he will feel much better when it is done. Thanks again for all your advice.

Stay safe

Tina & Jonny
xxx

lin

Post by lin » 28 Jul 2020, 20:15

Thats good Tina, and I bet he will look pretty as a picture when its done.
Take care.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Jul 2020, 22:23

Thanks for letting us know, Tina. We've had the 'before' photo, so lookin forward to the 'after' photo of handsome Jonny too!

Nina