Behavior change

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Kimberley

Behavior change

Post by Kimberley » 04 May 2020, 08:33

Hello :)

Since I made Timmies outdoor enclosure, he has been able to use it everyday. So for a good 4 weeks now. He went out from 11 till 5 pm.

The weather has been great until a week ago. It became cold and rained alot, which was well needed tbh. Since he's not going outside Timmie does not get up by himself anymore and wants to go to bed very early. I have to manualy put him under his lamp everymorning. His lamps go on at 6 am till 6 pm.

I have to say the longest I've waited was 9 pm to give him a chance to get up. He does look good, his urine, urates and poo all look good. He looks bright, not sick or anything. He eats as well.

I have a feeling he is disappointed he can't go out anymore. I have let him walk around my living room for a bit, he was active and interested. It was safe, watched him like a hawk and the floor was clean.

From tomorrow the weather will be good again, so better times are coming. But do other people have experience with a behavior change like this?

Kimberley

Nina

Re: Behavior change

Post by Nina » 04 May 2020, 08:54

Hi Kimberley,

I think your instincts are right and Timmie is just disappointed at not being able to go out and bored indoors. Can you remind me how big his table is? One thing you can do is to rearrange the 'furniture' in his table -- put rocks or bendy log thingys (if you have them) in different places. Tortoises do often get bored if they can see from one end of their table to the other without interruption, so you could add a nice big rock or piece of wood that he will have to walk around or climb over.

Also, check the temperature directly under heat lamp at the height of Timmie's shell. On colder mornings you might have to lower the lamp to get the right temperature (around 30C or just under). I would definitely get him up and put him under the lamp in the mornings, and if he is going straight back to bed take him out again and put him under the lamp. Often by doing this for a while they will perk up and wake up themselves.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

Nina

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » 04 May 2020, 09:40

Hi Nina,

His table is 2,5 ft by 6,7 ft. I have changed his table layout a few days ago. It helped a bit, but he's still dissapointed. I'm glad better weather is coming again.

He has 4 logs 3 bendy bridges, 3 plants, 1 tunnel and 1 hide, 1 rock, slate under his lamp, a bath.
Attachments
IMG_20200504_103819.jpg
IMG_20200504_103806.jpg
2020y5M4d10h30m15s.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 04 May 2020, 11:14

Oh my, that is a really excellent table! I withdraw my comments and I think you should tell Timmie that he is acting like a spoiled brat and he needs to get his act together! :D Seriously, I can't see anything wrong or that you could improve. I would just keep getting him up and putting him underthe lamp and see how it goes.

Just a little question -- do those slates under the lamp get really hot? Nothing to do with hwy he isn't coming out in the morning, but I think sometimes slates directly under a lamp on a warm day could get too hot (but on a cool day they probably provide some extra needed warmth from the heat they soak up.

Nina

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » 04 May 2020, 12:52

I'm glad you don't know what to change cause I wouldn't know either :)
The slate does become warm, but not too hot. He likes it and what he does if he wants a little less heat takes the outer slate or lies partially on slate.

But Timmie is a lucky guy today because the weather turned out much better than expected and he is out since 11.30 and in the sun for 2 hours now after inspecting the premisis :D

So there is nothing wrong with him, he just wants to be outside. It does worry me a little, because I've done what I can to make his indoor home nice too.