Offering home for Hermanns tortoises

Tortoise Groups and individuals may use this section to advertise tortoises in need of rehoming.
verhollandrvn

Offering home for Hermanns tortoises

Post by verhollandrvn » 14 Jan 2020, 11:00

Hi all,

We're currently looking to extend our tortoise family - we have one male Hermanns (Milligan) at home (unsure of age). I'm a veterinary nurse and so feel confident in being able to care for this species; the Hermann we have at home was brought into my practice as a stray and as he wasn't microchipped we took him into our care. He wasn't in the best of conditions i.e. overgrown beak, 'pyramiding' of his shell etc so he'd not been properly cared for. Eight months on he is doing much better and receives appropriate care/food/UV lighting etc.

We have ample space for more Hermanns and would love a friend(s) for Milligan. We live in the Lincolnshire area so would be looking to rehome from the local areas, as well as Nottingham/Newark/Doncaster/Retford or anywhere I have missed that isn't too far to travel.

If you need further information please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Victoria Holland RVN

lin

Re: Offering home for Hermanns tortoises

Post by lin » 14 Jan 2020, 11:41

Hi Victoria,
WE have three Hermanns babies to rehome on our Forum and Facebook sites. Are you interested in them?
Here is a link to the post about them: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... =22&t=1896

Lin
lin@thetortoisetable.org.uk

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Jan 2020, 12:26

lin wrote:
> Hi Victoria,
> We have three Hermanns babies to rehome on our Forum and Facebook sites.
> Are you interested in them?
> Here is a link to the post about them:
> https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... =22&t=1896
>
> Lin
> lin@thetortoisetable.org.uk

verhollandrvn

Post by verhollandrvn » 14 Jan 2020, 13:17

lin wrote:
> Hi Victoria,
> WE have three Hermanns babies to rehome on our Forum and Facebook sites.
> Are you interested in them?
> Here is a link to the post about them:
>
> Lin
> lin@thetortoisetable.org.uk

Hi Lin,

I've sent you an email!

Victoria

verhollandrvn

Post by verhollandrvn » 15 Jan 2020, 12:02

*UPDATE*

To anyone reading this I am still looking for a Hermanns tortoise to rehome (preferably a female for compatibility).

Thanks!

Victoria

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Jan 2020, 12:12

Hi Victoria,
Have you seen that two of the three young Hermanns tortoises in another posting are still up for rehoming? Here is a link to that thread:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... =22&t=1896 and you need to follow the contact instructions there to apply for rehoming them.

Nina

verhollandrvn

Post by verhollandrvn » 15 Jan 2020, 12:27

Nina wrote:
> Hi Victoria,
> Have you seen that two of the three young Hermanns tortoises in another
> posting are still up for rehoming? Here is a link to that thread:
>
> and you need to follow the contact instructions there to apply for
> rehoming them.
>
> Nina

Hi Nina,

Yes I have seen - unfortunately these are both male and would need to be kept separate from my boy so would be too difficult.

Thank you anyway!

Victoria

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Jan 2020, 19:42

Don't worry, I'm sure something will come up.

Nina

tiacorinne

Post by tiacorinne » 13 Apr 2020, 09:33

Are you still looking?

I have a female Hermann, around 5 years old.
She’s well loved, however she ideally needs more room than I can provide for her at the moment. If this can be provided by someone knowledgeable and caring, I’m happy to let her go to a better home x
Last edited by tiacorinne on 13 Apr 2020, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

verhollandrvn

Post by verhollandrvn » 13 Apr 2020, 10:01

Hi Tiacorinne,

I would happily offer her a home (pending location isn't too far!) - whereabouts are you based?

Victoria

tiacorinne

Post by tiacorinne » 13 Apr 2020, 12:05

Hi Victoria,

I live in Hull - I’ve just reread your locations, Doncaster is an hour away and Nottingham 2 hours, you may be further away than I thought.

Tia

verhollandrvn

Post by verhollandrvn » 13 Apr 2020, 12:25

Hi Tia,

Hull wouldn't be a problem at all! It would take me just over an hour to get there. Obviously pending the current situation I'd be happy to have her :)

Victoria

tiacorinne

Post by tiacorinne » 13 Apr 2020, 13:01

Hi Victoria,

If you’re happy to take her, I’d be happy to let you have her, I don’t think I’d find anyone better.

Are you able to send me an email from here? When it’s safe to do so, we can organise something?

Tia

Nina

Post by Nina » 13 Apr 2020, 16:02

Oh dear, I've just re-read this thread and realised (don't know why I didn't pick it up earlier) that Victoria you have a male (Milligan), and Tia you have a female Hermann.

I'm afraid it's almost impossible to keep one male and one female tortoise together, and this goes across pretty much all species. The reason for this is that male tortoises are absolutely relentless in their pursuit of females and will bite and ram them constantly. This really stresses out the female and can cause problems, so it is always recommended that if you have a male then you need at least two females because this will give one of the females a bit of a rest while the male is pursuing the other. However, even this doesn't always work as sometimes the male will just pursue the dominant female of a group and leave the others alone and that dominant female can suffer. I did hear of one case where one male was kept with one female, but they were from the same clutch of eggs and it was the only time I have heard of a male and a female living peacefully together.

Many people who have a tortoise of one sex and acquire one of the opposite sex end up either having to separate them because the male has done such damage to the female (shell injuries from ramming or drawing blood from biting), or rehoming one. Ample space doesn't always solve the problem either. Lin (who posted earlier on this thread) had a really huge garden with lots of hidey places and she still had to separate her male and female Spur Thighs because the female was suffering so much.

I am so sorry that I didn't bring this up earlier, and really sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news. I have two female Horsfields and they live happily together now, but even they fought and bit and battled for the first few weeks until one was established as dominant. The good news is that in the wild tortoises are relatively solitary creatures and so can live very happily on their own, and I think this might be the way forward for Milligan.

So sorry to have gone on at such length, but I wanted to explain why you might have problems in future if get a female companion for Milligan.

Nina