Heat Lamp

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Tina

Heat Lamp

Post by Tina » 14 Mar 2020, 17:46

Hello everyone, I hope all your torts are all safely out of their big sleep, And that you are all keeping well too!

My Jonny is up bless him but we have found out his lamp is no longer working, we have had it a while so it has done well. But i can't remember what make it was or what one to buy! Also the bulb that goes in it. The previous one was a ceramic clamp on i think. It will mainly be used for cooler days to put on our covered deck for when he needs a warm up until summer. So could you please recommend one to me.

Thank you

Love Tina xx

Nina

Re: Heat Lamp

Post by Nina » 14 Mar 2020, 20:27

Hi Tina, and so glad that Jonny is well and happy.

I'm a bit confused as to what sort of bulb you are looking for (when you say that the lamp is no longer working do you mean the device that you plug the bulb into, or the bulb itself)? You mentioned a ceramic clamp-on -- do you mean it was a ceramic bulb (one that gives out heat but no light -- or just the clamp that holds the bulb? Are you looking for a bulb that will emit UVB or just one that puts out light and heat? I assume you want a UVB bulb, as that is so important for tortoises, in which case you've got a choice of a fluorescent tube (which emits light and UVB but not heat) or a bulb that emits light, heat and UVB, and any good one will do. So sorry for the confusion, but if you can provide a few details that would be a help -- even a photo of your current bulb, if you want to replace that with a similar one.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 14 Mar 2020, 21:04

Along with what Nina has suggested you might like to have a look at our article where you might find some ideas too.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... m1Gby-nyfA
Lin

Tina

Post by Tina » 15 Mar 2020, 07:50

Hi Nina

Hope you are well luvvy.

So sorry for the confusing message lol! I should have said the the holder it self does not work, i have tried a new bulb and fuse but its kerput! So i thought i would ask what everyone else uses before i go about buying another one. I mainly use it for heat and light. Sorry do not have holder as it went off to the recycle centre yesterday!

Love Tina xx

Tina

Post by Tina » 15 Mar 2020, 07:53

Thanks Lin, i will have a look. xx

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Mar 2020, 10:23

Thanks, Tina -- I think I see now. So by holder you mean the actual thing that you screw the bulb into? If so then what you need is a ceramic holder, not a plastic one. You can get them from any ironmonger, I think, and probably places like Homebase (not sure).
So something like this:
https://sinolec.co.uk/en/ceramic-lamp-h ... gKHYvD_BwE
You can get reptile ones from places like Arcadia https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/prorep ... gKJ0vD_BwE but they are more expensive and not necessary unless you need that bracket that is attached to it to screw in somewhere.

Just google 'ceramic bulb holder' and you will see what I mean, and it needs to be able to take the capacity bulb that you are putting in it (and also be the right fitting -- I assume yours is a screw bulb). Does that help?

Cheers,
Nina

Tina

Post by Tina » 15 Mar 2020, 11:12

Hi Nina

Thank you for your reply. The one i had previously was like this, i bought it when i was back in surrey. xx

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clamp-Reflecto ... Caps%2C148

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Mar 2020, 16:36

Ahh, I see -- the whole thing, with reflector shade and all. You don't need a special reptile one -- just any ceramic holder with a reflector shade and cord attached will do, but I'm not sure how readily available they are. I notice that the one in your link is only good for a 60W bulb, and you do want one that will take a higher wattage bulb, so check before you buy it (could that be why yours broke -- was there a higher wattage bulb in there)? It shouldn't be difficult to get another similar one, and you can, try and get one with a broader shade, so that the circle of light under the lamp is a bit bigger.

Cheers,
Nina

Tina

Post by Tina » 15 Mar 2020, 20:15

Thanks Nina, i was going to ask about the bulb! I should have kept boxes etc so i knew what i had bought before! ( i blame the menopause lol) No the bulb was the right wattage for the holder.

I will continue my search!

Thanks for your help xxxx