Unusual behaviour

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
Serendipity

Unusual behaviour

Post by Serendipity » 03 Jan 2020, 13:10

Hi any ideas please.my female Hermann which I rescued a couple of months ago is suddenly acting really strange. She appears to be mounting a large squash that has always been in her enclosure, she is making a noise while doing this also climbing and being aggressive which she has not done before. I have no background information for her. Thank you any help would be appreciated x

lin

Re: Unusual behaviour

Post by lin » 03 Jan 2020, 14:29

Hiya.
I can only surmise that she is displaying for dominance towards the squash/gourd. Most of them do this and go on to imitate mating just to mark their position in the hierarchy.
No need to worry.
Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Jan 2020, 18:06

And to add to what Lin said, it's well known that tennis balls and old trainers are particularly attractive for some reason!!

Nina

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » 03 Jan 2020, 18:54

Thank you . My thoughts are to remove it. What do you think. .? All the others are doing well the latest one arrived Christmas week. He has been to the vets and had his overgrown beak trimmed seems much better and eating well , he is now in a table and seems really happy. He had been in a vivarium and his previous owner said he would continually charge at the glass the family dog had also mauled him a couple of times . They are really happy with his new home and can still come to see him. So from 1 to 5 in a couple of months . Going to be a busy spring doing 5 outdoor enclosures for Pebbles , Pancake, Puddles, Pickles and popcorn. Xx

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Jan 2020, 19:08

Oh wow, these tortoises are very lucky to have found a home with you! And I do love the names. As for taking taking the squash out -- you could take it out, or leave it in, as it seems to be providing her/him with some entertainment. Won't the squash go mouldy and bad in the hot temperatures (or is it a dried one)?

Congratulations on giving these torts a new home!

Nina

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » 03 Jan 2020, 19:56

Hello Nina, thank you 😊 . The squash is still really hard it looked so lovely I just thought it added a little bit more interest , well it certainly has now. I just couldn’t say no so they all have separate enclosures. 1 female Hermann, 2 males, 1 male horsefield and 1 female , iam sure I could have made things less complicated 😄 xx many thanks for your help .