REHOMED --Torta from North Devon needs a new home

Tortoise Groups and individuals may use this section to advertise tortoises in need of rehoming.
stuartfermior

REHOMED --Torta from North Devon needs a new home

Post by stuartfermior » 11 Dec 2019, 11:35

Hi everyone. Sad to say our son's enthusiasm for his Hermann's tortoise didn't last very long. We got her from Exeter Exotics 2 years ago and with great imagination, he and his sister called her... Torta (although we are not sure if she is a she).

We built a big table for her indoors that sits under our son's bunk bed to give you an idea of the space she has had - and in the summer she has an outdoor enclosure about 4'x4'. But she is largely ignored by the kids and they constantly need reminding to feed and water her. I am also concerned her diet could be better, despite us always trying to give her a mix of fresh weeds and I really don't want her shell to grow misshappen because of us.

I have her papers from Exeter somehwere which I will look out and we really want her to go to someone more knowledgable than us. With 2 energetic dogs, three cats and chickens, we needed the children to look after her as we simply don't have the time. Kids eh?

I would love her to be a companion to another Hermann's and we would be prepared to go to some lengths to find the right home for her where she can get the attention she deserves.

Thanks everyone

Stuart

Nina

Re: Torta from North Devon needs a new home

Post by Nina » 11 Dec 2019, 15:07

Hi Stuart,

It's a shame, but I do understand why you need to rehome (I was stuck looking after a corn snake for 25 years after my son lost interest in it).
We'll do everything we can to help you, and it might be a good idea to post your message on our Facebook page as that has a larger readership than this Forum. Also, a photo of Torta might help too. I'm sure you will find someone good, but do grill them on their set-ups etc., and ask for photos.
And just a little reminder -- it is our policy, and Facebook's policy that no money can change when rehoming a tortoise through us.
Best of luck in finding a great home!

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 11 Dec 2019, 18:19

Hi Stuart. I can post your request on our timeline of Facebook as Nina has said we do have so many more people engage in our posts on there. Could you send me a nice photo of Torta and any history that you think can help others to see how she was looked after, the approx age (if you know) the diet etc. Once I have that I can put together a post with all the needed details along with your email addy and then any future rehomers will contact you direct. You can then ask all the questions you like to make sure torta will go on to the perfect home that you feel comfortable with.
You do not allow your tortoise to go until you are satisfied and we will always be in the background to answer anything you need to clarify.
You can see the Facebook page by looking for ‘the tortoise table’ on Facebook.
Lin

stuartfermior

Post by stuartfermior » 14 Dec 2019, 16:54

Hi Nina and hi LIn,

Thanks so much for your advice. Funnily enough, some friends of ours have just expressed an interest in Torta so I need to meet with them first and make sure they fully understand everything ownership entails. The benefit of course is that they are friiends, our children wouldn't be so upset if they knew they could alwasy see her if they wanted to, and if, heaven forbid, they couldn't cope, I could always come back here. But I will have a chat first to see just how serious they are and to make absolutely sure they understand the commitment. Will keep you posted :>)

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Dec 2019, 19:44

Hi Stuart,
That sounds like a brilliant solution! Fingers crossed that it works out, and do let us know the outcome so that we can either say that Tborta has been rehomed or leave the thread open. Good luck, and have a lovely Chrstmas.

Ni,many

lin

Post by lin » 14 Dec 2019, 22:54

That is good news Stuart.
As you say if things don’t work out just give us a shout, but it will be great for the kids to keep in touch with torta ,
Thanks for letting us know.
Lin

Greener Cleaning

Post by Greener Cleaning » 10 Jan 2020, 14:17

Hello, are you still looking for a new home for Torta? We're looking for a companion for our Herman. Please let me know if you still have him please. My email is dna@greenercleaning4u.co.uk. Thanks David.

lin

Post by lin » 10 Jan 2020, 22:51

Hi David.
I don’t know if you read the whole thread but it does say in the 4th post down that a friend has expressed an interest in rehoming and that Stuart would keep us posted.
I can only assume that things are going well as there has been no other notification from Stuart.
Hope that is helpful although it isn’t what you wanted to hear.
Lin

stuartfermior

Post by stuartfermior » 14 Jan 2020, 12:44

David - so sorry not to reply to you before now. I should have kept a closer eye on the site. Torta is happily rehomed thanks and I will delte the post to avoid confusion. Good luck in your search for a companion for yours.

stuartfermior

Post by stuartfermior » 14 Jan 2020, 12:46

Umm... how does one delets a post?!

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Jan 2020, 12:53

No problem, Stuart -- I'll mark this post as 'Rehomed'. So glad you found a home for Torta.

Nina