weed id please

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Tina

weed id please

Post by Tina » 31 May 2017, 15:15

Hello and i hope all at TTT are well. :)

Please could you have a look at these weeds i have growing in Jonny's weed bed. I have sown packets of tort weed seeds and flower seeds (plants he can eat) but still think there are weeds in there like spurge that have come through so will not be able to let him help himself! Seem to have a lot of what i have taken pics of. There is some Rape in there too. Still have more i am unsure of but wont bombard you with them all just yet!

Thank you in advance

Tina xxx
Attachments
IMG01569-20170531-1448.jpg
IMG01572-20170531-1449.jpg
IMG01571-20170531-1449.jpg

Nina

Re: weed id please

Post by Nina » 31 May 2017, 16:09

Hi Tina -- and i hope you are well too (and that Jonny is enjoying the bits of sunshine we've been having).

Here is what I think your plants are, but I hope that Lin will come on later and confirm or correct me!
First photo -- I'm not completely sure on this one, but it looks like one of the Matricaria (Mayweeds). We have entries for Scented Mayweed: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... S7bEsbauM8, but only one photo and not really good enough for an ID; and also Scentless Mayweed (but no photos). It could also be something else, so hold fire on this one for a bit.

Second photo. It's a bit blurry, but it looks like Fumitory to me (does it have darker pink spots at the ends of each flower?). Here is our entry for it:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... S7biMbauM8

Third photo. This looks like Groundsel to me. Have a look at our entry and see what you think:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... S7bv8bauM8
It could also be Oxford Ragwort, but those flower buds are longer and therefore I think more likely to be Groundsel.

Nina xxxx

Tina

Post by Tina » 31 May 2017, 16:25

Hi Nina
Thanks for your very quick reply! Yes he is enjoying it, bless him. Hope your girlies are too. He is also using his mk2 house that we bought when the old one (he never used!) fell apart! He takes himself off to it for bed (we bring him in though) so sweet and always make me smile when you hear the clunk clunk and his bottom disappearing into it!
LOL typical they are all no feed! ok i will pull them all up. We tried to take out all the old soil that was in the veg bed that was here when we moved in and refill with top soil but there was so much (we have 30 bags on it still on our drive that we are slowing taking to the dump!) we didn't do it all so this must all be coming through. There is other things growing i would like you to look at as i am paranoid that i will give him something i think is ok when its not as some look alike! But again i will look at the data base first.
I have just been chucking seeds in to grow plants he can have, shall he can't go and rummage for himself but i don't trust whats in there now.

Thanks again my lovely, take care

xxx

Nina

Post by Nina » 31 May 2017, 17:23

Hi Tina,

Before you pull them up, just wait until Lin gets in tonight so that she can double check my IDs.
Getting rid of soil is a real pain, isn't it. I have many, many window boxes and tubs and it is such a pain to get rid of the old compost in them when I'm planting new stuff. I've just finished 15 tubs and window boxes and about another ten large tubs that I grow veg in. They are all for me, sadly, none for Doris and Dolly, as there is enough stuff growing in my herbaceous borders for them, plus lots of lovely weeds growing out of cracks between paving stones in my front garden.

Re the weeds in Jonny's bed. It could well be that these new not-so-nice weeds have arrived from seeds that have just blown in on the wind or have been deposited by birds. It's amazing how clever weeds are about insinuating themselves into every nook and cranny. There is an absolutely wonderful book by Richard Mabey called "Weeds: The Story of Outlaw Plants". Here's a review of it: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/ ... bey-review . I would put my copy in the post to you, but I've loaned it to someone and it hasn't come back (and I can't remember who I loaned it to). Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you are finding stuff that you didn't plant in your weed bed, given the nature of weeds!

Nina xxx

lin

Post by lin » 31 May 2017, 19:00

Hi Tina.
I agree with Nina. The second two plants are correct but the first one, the one with the bud...it could be plenty of plants and until that bud opens it is difficult to say. It is more than likely one of the Mayweeds but leave it for a while as if it is then thats is only a sparingly feed.
Lin

Tina

Post by Tina » 01 Jun 2017, 08:13

Thanks Lin, i think there are quite a few that i need to wait and see in the patch.

xxx