Outdoor enclosure free -- collect from Rickmansworth

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Nina

Outdoor enclosure free -- collect from Rickmansworth

Post by Nina » 02 Jul 2019, 13:59

A good sized outdoor set-up is being offered free to anyone who is willing to collect it from the Rickmansworth area.

It measures approximately 9' x 12' and was built according to Tortoise Trust guidelines (here is the article that inspired it http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/climateframe.html ). It consists of a wooden surround, a security wire lid and a three-part polythene cover, and all of the pieces on top are individually removable, allowing access to selected areas of the enclosure.

If you can collect this, then please apply direct to the owner at susan@sandp.co.uk for further information. Please note that you will have to dismantle the run and re-erect it in its new home.
[attachment=0]Susan's enclosure.jpg[/attachment]

Nina
Attachments
Susan's enclosure.jpg

Teddy28

Re: Outdoor enclosure free -- collect from Rickmansworth

Post by Teddy28 » 03 Jul 2019, 08:26

Hi Nina
Thanks for the link to the article it made interesting reading and ideas for our new enclosure. I discounted the ides of using lumisol previously because of the cost but seeing the difference between artificial lights and sunlight I'm thinking again. I spoke with lumisol and they said they sometimes sell to groups or clubs rather than to individuals as it works out cheaper, do you know of any such arrangements?

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Jul 2019, 12:59

Gosh, I don't know if any group who would want to buy in bulk (although the Wiltshire Tortoise Group are very active, and it's possible that they might be interested). Here is a link to their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 632577460/ and I see that they have an article about Lumisol on there. Also the two Norfolk groups are active and I could get you contact emails for all three if they seem suitable.

Nina

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 03 Jul 2019, 20:37

The build in the article is still up and running Nina,my Torts have been out since early April and will stay out until late September early October temps permitting..the limersol clear works excellently but will need a little cleaning now and then
Best regards
Joe

lin

Post by lin » 03 Jul 2019, 20:47

Thats a great snippet of info Joe. So many of us forget we need to wash our roofs to allow the natural light through even if it is lumisol.
The extended time out is unspeakable for our English weather really, so its well worth the investment.
Hope you and yours are well.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Jul 2019, 21:11

Hi Joe,
Great to hear from you, and also to know that your Lumisol is still working really well. Susan, who had that frame made, used your article and instructions and she has been super happy with it. Isn't it nice that the sun has finally come out in the UK? I thought it never would!

Nina

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 03 Jul 2019, 22:34

Thanks for the link Nina i'll have a look. Interested to hear about how long Joe s torts stay outdoors for so it definitely sounds like a good investment.

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 05 Jul 2019, 18:21

It’s definitely worth reading the article throughout ..you must bear in mind on hot days my set-up will get very warm inside and I mean very warm..I recall when I was collecting temp info mine was hotter than Texas inside..and Texas gets hot ..water and shady areas must be taken into account
Best regards
Joe

lin

Post by lin » 05 Jul 2019, 18:44

I actually do remember when that article first went up Joe. Well put together and yes, from me, well read.

Lin

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 06 Jul 2019, 15:55

Hi Nina
The link you sent me to the Wiltshire Tortoise Group and the article about Lumisol......well it seems the British Chelonia Group sells Lumisol by the metre and even with postage its much more cost effective than buying direct from a supplier so I'm going to order some once I know how much I need.
Thanks for the tip off
Teddy

lin

Post by lin » 06 Jul 2019, 18:04

Wow, Teddy. Good hunting. Photos of your final result when its done would be brilliant for us if you could.

Lin

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 07 Jul 2019, 17:56

Yes will do Lin although it could be a while. Need a good think about the design yet