Horsfield beak

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
N0rman

Horsfield beak

Post by N0rman » 30 May 2019, 11:35

]Hi everyone,
I’m seeking some advice as I’m getting increasingly worried about my horsfields beak. Hopefully you can see from the attached pictures that his lower jaw is protruding out and is also beginning to dig into his upper beak. I’m so worried!
He is fed a good diet of home grown weeds and a variety of other plants suitable for his breed. He also has access to a cuttlefish and I also sprinkle some in his food every no and then.
What could I be be doing wrong? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance!
Laura
Attachments
7799AB87-E449-4126-8756-5936F27995CC.jpeg
A6DD5E55-6DB3-407D-987B-4A5AAC102FF7.jpeg
41641B8B-B4E5-42F7-9590-6F509437750B.jpeg
Last edited by N0rman on 30 May 2019, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.

lin

Re: Horsefield beak

Post by lin » 30 May 2019, 11:44

Hi NOrman.
He is a lovely chap and does have a bit of an underbite.
Cxan I ask what substrate you are using because if the bottom jaw starts to act as a shovel then I wouldnt like this little one to become impacted on ingested substrate.
I think if you pop him along to a vet that knows about tortoises, a reptilr vet that treats chelonia you might be surprised in how they could trim it and make things a lot easier for both you and this little one.
Let me know if you need a vet local to you if you cannot find one on our reccomended vet list - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... s-by-area/
And if there is anything else we can do for you.

Lin
Oh, BTW. There is only one 'e' on Horsfield :lol:

Nina

Post by Nina » 30 May 2019, 11:49

Hi Laura,

It's a bit difficult for me to see the overbite from his lower jaw, as his mouth is open, but I take your word for it that it protrudes further out than his beak and is beginning to cause problems. I'm sure this isn't something that you have caused, and it sounds more lke a congenital problem as far as I can tell, and in addition to the problems that Lin has listed, it could also stop him from biting and pulling at his food properly, so I agree that a visit to the vet is in order. If you can't find one on the list on our website, let us know and we'll try and find one for you -- and it is really important that you see a reptile/exotics vet rather than an ordinary vet as they tend not to have training in treating reptiles.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nina

N0rman

Post by N0rman » 30 May 2019, 12:15

Hi,

Thank you so much for the prompt replies, it sounds like a trip to the vets in in order. I’m getting so worried it’s going to affect how he eats etc.

The substrate I use is the ready mixed Tortoise terrain from pets at home.

Thanks again.
Laura

Nina

Post by Nina » 30 May 2019, 12:57

No problem, Laura, and I wouldn't worry too much as he seems to be eating well at the moment. From what I can see in the photo, your substrate looks fine (but you could probably do it cheaper by mixing sterilised topsoil with children's play sand (bags available at Homebase, Garden centres and places like that) -- but if you're happy with it then I'd stick wth it.

Fingers crossed it's an easy thing to correct.

Cheers,
Nina

lin

Re: Horsfield beak

Post by lin » 30 May 2019, 14:13

Thanks Laura.
Keep us posted on what the vet says. Good luck.

Lin

N0rman

Post by N0rman » 03 Jun 2019, 21:02

Good evening,

Quick update following our visit to the vets this afternoon.

She has recommend Nutrobal to give him an extra boost of vitamins/minerals and said I should see an improvement within a few weeks. On the whole though she said he was in really good condition which I was pleased about.

Im so glad it’s nothing more serious and that i took him in when I did.

Thanks for the advice! ☺️

Laura

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Jun 2019, 21:27

Hi Laura,

That's good news, but I don't quite understand. I can see how Nutrobal will give him the vitamins and calcium that are beneficial to him (and we definitely recommend the use of Nutrobal with all tortoises), but how will that correct his jaw problem? Did she think that the underbite wasn't a problem? Anyway, I'm glad that he's had a good visit to the vet and that you're not worried any more.

Cheers,
Nina

N0rman

Post by N0rman » 03 Jun 2019, 21:32

She wants to give him a good few weeks with the Nutrabol and then see how he goes. She wasnt overly concerned but did say if if in a few weeks they need to take a bit off they will but she wants to leave it for the time being.

Laura

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Jun 2019, 21:52

That sounds very sensible to me! Just to let you know, some tortoises don't like Nutrobal and you have to trick them into eating it. The recommended dose is just a small pinch (I think it's one pinch of Nutrobal per kilo of tortoise), and you can trick a tortoise by cutting a very thin slice of cucumber, putting the nutrobal on it and then folding it in half like a sandwich, and then hand feeding it. But hopefully you will be lucky and have no problems at all.

Nina

N0rman

Post by N0rman » 04 Jun 2019, 07:37

Thanks for the tip Nina, will certainly give it a try if he’s a bit fussy with it!

Laura