Achillea's new, improved space

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Heather

Achillea's new, improved space

Post by Heather » 26 Apr 2019, 15:29

[attachment=2]Area from east.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]Area from conservatory.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Area from north.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Cave with spiders.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Cave with spiders.jpg
Area from north.jpg
Area from east.jpg

Heather

Re: Achillea's new, improved space

Post by Heather » 26 Apr 2019, 15:31

[attachment=1]Sedge.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Pansies.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Pansies.jpg
Sedge.jpg

lin

Post by lin » 26 Apr 2019, 17:16

Wow, Heather. Thats looking great.
Have you thought about putting a small log roll standing up making a feature of it and breaking the line of sight and I used to use them flat on the ground to give another texture to walk over. You have so much space there to make Achillea's dreams come true.
Well done to you.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 26 Apr 2019, 18:18

My goodness, is that stylish or what! Really lovely! I especially like that spider plant draped over the entrance to the little cave/hidey place.
Now that you've completed that, you can come and do mine (which looks really boring at the moment)!

Nina

Heather

Post by Heather » 26 Apr 2019, 22:46

Thanks both - work in progress regards 'interest'. I like the log roll idea. The concrete pad against the cream wall (almost not showing) has potential for a 'sun house' next to the pansies (which is where Achillea sun-bathed last weekend) & maybe troughs of attractive edibles - my garden has masses of weeds, so I don't need to propagate. I'm amazed how well the winter pansies have not only survived, but have flourished.
I have a couple of fairly shallow round plant 'dishes' which I may sink in the gravel with some edibles, as I would prefer not to plant through the membrane, but that may change.
Achillea is only outdoors when we are home & the conservatory door is open, & knows her way around the house. We sometimes spend ages searching for her before bed time.....
Notice the different colour walls (you can see pale green & cream) - the other two aspects are pink & pale blue! It's always been my fancy to have a marshmallow house - it's not a pretty cottage, so playing with the colour was fun.
Heather

lin

Post by lin » 26 Apr 2019, 23:57

I think you have wnough pots and plants around the enclosure without thinking about planting through the membrane. If you plant, he will eat - :lol: I laways fine picking and feeding works better in keeping healthy tortoises because they cannot overeat if its not there in abundence.

I cant wait to see the pics as you go along Heather.

Lin

Heather

Post by Heather » 27 Apr 2019, 09:56

SHE - Achillea (formerly Achilles) lays eggs Lin!! :lol:

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Apr 2019, 10:29

And she's not the first transgender tortoise -- my Doris used to be called Boris! :D :D

Nina xx

TortillaTheTortoise

Post by TortillaTheTortoise » 28 Apr 2019, 06:18

Awesome enclosure! I wish I could have a permanent outside enclosure for my tortoise but the weather just isn't right, it rains then the sun's comes out then it's cloudy then it's hot and nights drop below 15°C! So confusing :lol: