REHOMED - Isobel- 19 years old female Horsfield tortoise

Tortoise Groups and individuals may use this section to advertise tortoises in need of rehoming.
Anne651

REHOMED - Isobel- 19 years old female Horsfield tortoise

Post by Anne651 » 13 Apr 2019, 20:02

Isobel - 19 yrs old. Female - MERSEYSIDE
Isobel is a rescue tortoise who is now ready to rehome but under no circumstances can Isobel be used for breeding so either a lone tortoise or kept alone.
If for any reason the new home does not work out then Isobel will need to be returned to her rehabber.
Please read to the end to find out how to apply.

She is a typical horsfield, has the personality of a gladiator and a great inbuilt skill for masterful escapes. She needs a diet of weeds and wildflowers and above all she needs ongoing care.
She is still recovering (although she has come a long way) from a soft shell, so she is given just a single drop of liquid calcium in one of her three baths a week (she loves those). and she and is starting to eat limestone chalk and cuttlefish now, so well on the way to overcoming the shell problem.
Isobel has had full bloods done and the results were good, so liver, kidneys, etc. are all ok and no underlying problems. Isobel is also parasite free.
She would love, more than anything else to say a fond farewell to her rehabber and have someone as equally caring to take care of her and offer her a forever home with a nice large indoor and outdoor setup.
Leave your interests here, what you have to offer and the carer will contact you direct.
Let me know if there is any problems and I will do my best to help.
Lin

[attachment=0]Isobel_Anne.jpg[/attachment]

Isobel came to me as a rescue in November 2018. She arrived very underweight, dry and stuck shed.
Had full bloods, thankfully no underlying issues. Her shell is firming up nicely. She's a great eater, loves to be outside, a real character. I'm looking for a home that can continue her care , offering her a large indoor and outdoor setup, I'm based in Merseyside
Attachments
Isobel_Anne.jpg

lin

Re: Isobel- 19 years old female Horsfield tortoise

Post by lin » 13 Apr 2019, 21:14

Hi Anne.
I can offer to put Isobel onto our FB page for you with the info you give. It will be up to you to interview any prospective new carers, to ask questions and ask for photos of what people are able to offer and choose who feel fits the bill.

If you can send in a photo if her and any details you can add I will get onto it and send you the links here so you can keep up to date.
We will be here if you need to ask advise.
Hope thats helpful and look forward to hearing from you.

Lin

Edited to remove a line that didnt come across as it should have.

Anne651

Post by Anne651 » 16 Apr 2019, 13:27

Hi Lin,
Thankyou for your reply. Isobel came with 2 others, a female horsfield and male hermann, all around the same age.
Unfortunately the other female passed away, she had lived with the most horrendous uri for years, most of her face had been eaten away, so very sad. By the time she came to me it was too late. The antibiotics just didn't have time to kick in for her.
I had full bloods done for all 3 , thankfully and amazingly nothing untowards showed up so liver kidneys all ok.
I also had the very sick female swabed for Mycoplasma and herpes which came back negative.
Isobels shell is still a little plyable but I'm amazed at how quickly she has firmed up.
She's a great little character and loves her grub. She is now also parasite free.
I'd really appreciate if she could go on your site lib, I prodomanentley keep eastern hermanns.
I have lots of photos of her, just not sure how to attach them.
Kind regards,
Anne

lin

Post by lin » 16 Apr 2019, 17:29

Hi Anne.
If you can send a photo or two of Isobel to our contact address (contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk) so that I can start the rehoming process. Will you be happy to oversee the applicants if I get them to send their applications direct to you , we will, of course be here to aid you in any way that we can.

The story you tell is very heroic of you to take on what some would say 'lost causes' Anne, and the joy you must get in bring them back from the brink can only be described as immense. To say well done isnt nearly enough.

If you can think of anything else you would like to add to the story for isobel let me know here, or through the contact addy above but we do need to know where Isobel is located so that the applicants will know...Oh, just found it. Merseyside.

Look forward to seeing the photos and getting this little one the home she deserves.
Regards

Lin

Anne651

Post by Anne651 » 19 Apr 2019, 17:21

Hi Lin,
I've just sent you some photos of Isobel via the link you so kindly sent me.
Yes no problem at all for me to respond to enquiries.
Isobel is a,typical horsfield, has the personality of a gladiator and great inbuilt skills of masterful escapes.
As she is an absolute rescue tortoise, under no circumstances must she be bred from(one of my total pet hates )
Isobel will need ongoing care and a diet of weeds and flowers. She is bathed 3 times per week which she loves, one of those times with a drop of liquid calcium to aid her recovery.
She must be housed in an indoor table no smaller than 6x2 and a large outdoor home.
She loves a hide and is starting to eat limestone chalk and cuttlefish.
She really needs to be an only tortoise. In my opinion, Isobel would benefit from winter hibernation.
Thankyou so much Lin, happy Easter.
Kind regards,
Anne.

lin

Post by lin » 19 Apr 2019, 21:14

Thanks so much for the photos, she is adorable and so beautifully grown. You have done so well with her.
I will get it up on the FB page but will you want to see what I have anyway taken from what you have sent.
Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 19 Apr 2019, 22:07

I agree with Lin -- she really is a lovely tortoise, with a surprisingly smooth shell for one who had such a difficult time before you rescued her. You've done a really super job, and thanks too for specifying what type of home she should go to -- that will help in terms of people knowing if it is appropriate for them to apply.

Nina

Anne651

Post by Anne651 » 20 Apr 2019, 17:08

Thankyou so much ladies, yes I'd love to see the add pre post x