Rehoming Info for Hermann Tortoise

Tortoise Groups and individuals may use this section to advertise tortoises in need of rehoming.
laurat

Rehoming Info for Hermann Tortoise

Post by laurat » 17 Feb 2019, 09:29

Hi girls, hope you're well. It is with huge sadness I write this post but we may be needing to have Vera (Hermann) rehomed. Due to family circumstances and a life changing occurrence, we think it would probably be best if he was rehomed (yes Vera is a he lol ... we thought he was a she and when we found out he was a he we didn't have the heart to change his name 5yrs down the line). What's the procedure for rehoming? Vera is a Hermann and he was born October 2010, he is chipped and is a canny little fella who loves to climb, is VERY active, lives in a tortoise table and is VERY dirty, loves getting clogged with dirt. He's never hibernated and loves being outside in the summer. We are just outside of Newcastle upon Tyne.

lin

Re: Rehoming Info for Hermann Tortoise

Post by lin » 17 Feb 2019, 11:52

Hi Laurat.
Our usual way is to put it on FB as a rehoming and have it on here as well and then in a few days time we would forward you (or you can keep an eye open yourself) all the potential applicants and you do the sifting out and choose who you think is perfect to take on Vera.
Its so sad when we have to make these decisions but sometimes its a must.
You do know that we are not a buying and selling page and only rehome as long as there is no money that changes hands. We would need a photo that you can send direct to contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk and any other details you can think of. Your wishes will be paramount though and it is up to you. We will of course be in the background incase you need any help.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 17 Feb 2019, 12:14

Hi Lin

That's great, thank you!!

Yes I know about the money situation. I wouldn't be looking for money. As long as (if it came to it) Vera went to a good loving home, that's all that would matter to me.

I'll keep you updated.

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Feb 2019, 18:18

Hi Laura,

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear that you might have to rehome Vera! Vera seems like an old friend to me after all the corrrespondence we've had, and I know that you have always given him the best of care. If we can support you in any way to keep him, let us know, but if you need to rehome then we will help you all we can as well. We had some excellent applicants recently for another Hermanns rehoming and some of those people might well be interested. I'm sorry, I can't remember, but do you know what subspecies of Hermanns Vera is?

Nina

laurat

Post by laurat » 02 Apr 2019, 18:42

Hiya! Off the top of my head no, but I can find out as I have his paperwork.

laurat

Post by laurat » 02 Apr 2019, 18:42

Hiya! Off the top of my head no, but I can find out as I have his paperwork.

lin

Post by lin » 02 Apr 2019, 19:01

That would be good if you could Laura.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 03 Apr 2019, 20:38

Good news to report ... Vivacious Vera is staying, yeahhhhh!!!!

So, now that's set in stone, we can get on with our new project that's been in the pipeline for him, which is extending his tortoise table to 6ft. Watch this space for photos ...

lin

Post by lin » 03 Apr 2019, 21:52

Oh wow. That is good to hear Laura. So pleased it all worked out for Vera (and your son)
Can't wait for pics.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Apr 2019, 22:34

Oh my goodness -- that really made my day (and I'll bet it made Vera's day too)! I'm so glad that you are going to keep him and am really looking forward to seeing photos of his new little tortoise palace!

Nina x

laurat

Post by laurat » 05 Apr 2019, 20:00

Awwwwwwwwww. I'm overjoyed too. He's quite the character. Cannot wait to see what he makes of a 6ft table. He's even going to have a bath in there (well a glorified one made out of a cat litter tray lol) as opposed to his plant pot dish. I will definitely send photos. He celebrated today by having bum wiggle when I tickled his back ha!

lin

Post by lin » 05 Apr 2019, 21:07

Aww, love the butt wiggles, really shows they do respond and give something back. They also give a butt wiggle if I have they have water running over the back half.

Lin
x

laurat

Post by laurat » 11 Apr 2019, 16:29

Oh I've not tried with running water over his back.

His new enclosure is all complete ... I've popped the photos over on the enclosures section.

lin

Post by lin » 11 Apr 2019, 16:45

Oh, I am so excited. Bet your wondering how that first thought you had ever came into your head now.
I am so proud of you Laura, and your son for his persistence.

Lin